3rd gear grind! help

since i got the car a while back 3rd gear has been grinding, nothing too bad at first, but now it sometimes grinds in 2nd and 4th too. im hoping its not the clutch… maybe i gotta bleed something? someone told me to bleed the master or slave cylinder but im not sure how to or if that even the problem. please any suggestions??
thanks alot
tony

my car tranny was doing the same on 2nd gear i just change the tranny fluid to synchromesh fluid and it wen away…they have it at autozone…

do as i did:

1. drain your trans oil.

2. fill the trans with gm synchromesh.

3. enjoy.

as a trucker with no syncros duouble clutch that shit!!!

thanks guys! ill put some in in the morning and let you no how it runs.

do i fill it with all gm sycro or do i use trans fluid also?

Use all GM synchromesh.

But contrary to the way the others are making it sound… Synchromesh is a bandaid, not a fix. Your gears are grinding because the synchros are worn and will eventually need to be replaced. The synchromesh might reduce or get rid of the grinding for now and will hopefully prevent the problem from getting worse faster.

[QUOTE=darksideda9;2030411]maybe i gotta bleed something? someone told me to bleed the master or slave cylinder but im not sure how to or if that even the problem. please any suggestions??
thanks alot
tony[/QUOTE]

we have cable clutches so there is nothing to bleed. however there is an adjustment and if its off it will cause you to grind and will be hard to shift.

how do i no where the clutch cable is supposed to be set to? now that you mention it my boy adjusted my clutch cable, he said my pedel was coming out to far but i dont no… is there a pic or something to show me how to set it, and its 2 quarts of gm sycromesh right?

Upon asking yourself those two questions you should have immediately consulted your Helms manual. You would already have the answers.

i dont have a helms book, i got the original book that came with the car though

Then you should purchase one (www.helminc.com) or find a copy of the pdf online (free). You really shouldn’t be doing any work on your car w/o one, it will guide you through just about anything you want to do and is a lot easier than getting answers here. Something like clutch cable adjustment requires diagrams. Not something easily typed out. If you find it typed out it will be accompanied by a pic copied from the Helms manual (I’m sure it’s been posted before so with enough searching you can probably find it).

just by that i can tell you that your cable is probably not adjusted properly unless your friend really knows what he’s doing. most people think you can adjust the height at which your clutch grabs by turning the knob that’s on the transmission side. well they’re horribly wrong. the knob on the transmission side is for adjusting your clutch free play which should be give or take 1" at your pedal. i do it by feel but if you look in the helms it will give the exact specifications if you don’t know what your doing.

ima pick up a manual asap then, thanks guys i really appreciate it.