ABS Removal

Well i’ve been doing a lot of searching on g2ic and the net in general and i found very little on this topic. the useful stuff i found on g2ic was kinda old and the pics are no longer hosed by their original website. i found one really useful pic from http://clemsonscc.com/Gallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20070503014254739 thanks to whoever’s pic it is

my question is can i just reuse the abs brake lines by cutting and reflareing them? or do i have to use non abs?

You need the non-abs lines unless you want to rig up some ghetto adapters and what not.

And personally I do not like the “soft” lines used in the link you posted. I prefer to use pieces of the stock abs lines to make these two small lines. That way you’re not only using hardlines but also it will look much more stock.

The swap is super easy… the info here on g2ic is plenty to get it done properly. I’m actually surprised you said there was very little, I’d probably argue the opposite. Maybe you missed a couple threads somehow?

[QUOTE=Colin;1828602]You need the non-abs lines unless you want to rig up some ghetto adapters and what not.

And personally I do not like the “soft” lines used in the link you posted. I prefer to use pieces of the stock abs lines to make these two small lines. That way you’re not only using hardlines but also it will look much more stock.

The swap is super easy… the info here on g2ic is plenty to get it done properly. I’m actually surprised you said there was very little, I’d probably argue the opposite. Maybe you missed a couple threads somehow?[/QUOTE]

im one of those ppl who need to see pictures thats y lol…i was thinking the same thing with the soft brake lines

Anyone know where I can get adapters to connect the two hardlines?

NON-ABS CONVERTION COMPLETED

BEFORE

this mission would not be possible with out these tools

Half way done

Fabricated extentions

Completed

brakelines assembled

random pic

Modified by rockofcali at 9:31 PM 3/24/2008

I have the two non abs lines that go from the master cylinder to prop valve. but I was just planning on added to the two lines from the front wheels. I just need a male to male connector. The napa close to me says they don’t make one.

yea i went trough that prob u see that adaptor …that my extensions are connected to…i thought that was part of the abs but i took it off for a closer look and its just a male to male adapter:rockon: i just used that …my brakes work great

i bought that same flare tool because my snap on hydro tool wouldn’t fit in thiis one spot… what a cheap piece of shit… basically a throw away tool… ABS swap looks good… now we gota get rid of those pink connectors everywhere

Why would you buy the tool? You can go down to any local autoparts store and just rent it for free…

I already have a flaring tool, but where I live no auto parts rents tools. I have to drive 100+ miles to denver to rent a tool. I think I may have found an adapter I will keep you updated.
I was able to get union adapter for the brakelines from napa part 6415020

i have a friend that works at kragen he charged me for a bag of m&m’s and gave me the flair tool i wasnt about to spend 25 bucks on it haha this non-abs conversion costed me about 35 bucks all together including my m&m’s lol

Can anyone verify that the brakelines on our cars are double flaring or a bubble flare? I don’t have access to my car right now so I can’t check. Thanks

I’ve never heard of a “bubble” flare. Just single and double. Our cars use double (which basically means there will be two layers of metal at the end of the line).

I didn’t until I bought some metric brake lines from napa, they have a bubble flare on the ends. I did a little searching and they make tools that will bubble flare the ends. So I just wanted to make sure that the lines on our cars are double flared.

Did a quick google image search… here’s a site which shows a side by side photo of double vs. bubble. I didn’t bother reading anything, but it may give pros/cons.

http://volksweb.relitech.com/brakeln.htm

Our cars definitely use the double flare.

Thanks. I have also found out that GM has started to use this style as well.

(post deleted)

i have deleted this post whre i originally suggested cutting uf the abs wire harness. After cutting mine, i discovered (a month later) that my hazards didn’t work due to ONE wire in the abs harness. turns out the wire goes to the hazard fuse in the underhood fuse box. i spliced and reconnected that one wire and all is good now.

Hello,
just wondering…would it be possible to just replace all of the hard brake lines (from the master cylinder; firewall) to the brake proportional valve and down to the brake caliper or is this the only way to remove the abs system. I really hate my ABS system and want to go the Non-ABS route. What i’m trying to ask is, “what’s the easiest way to do this?” the way you did it or buy Non-ABS hard brake lines for 92 4dr teg (engine bay) and replace them?

A little off topic but I’m willing to pay some one to preform this ABS removal for me.

If you get the parts, I’m willing to help you. I just did mine.