cam plug sealant?

does anyone know if your suposed to use sealant when replacing a cam plug? i went to replace mine today, and i was sure you had to use honda bond (or an equivalent), but when i took out the old one, there was no sealant traces on it at all. just curious if anyone knows…:shrug:

Yes, you should use some sealant on it.
Honda bond (=ultra grey), Ultra copper, stuff like that.

cool thats what i thought, i used toyota seal … stuff is stickyer than tar … gotta love it … thanx dood!!!

:up:

i went nuts with red rtv

If you get the 96 integra cam end plug then you dont have to use any hondabond :slight_smile:

Later,
BR

i used an STR Cam end Seal and didn’t use any sealant appears to have work fine for the last year and a half. With my new engine i used a Generic aftermarket Cam end seal and didn’t use any sealant with it… i guess i will find out soon if i should have :wink:

Originally posted by E-DA9
Yes, you should use some sealant on it.
Honda bond (=ultra grey), Ultra copper, stuff like that.

Noob question: What is Honda bond? Is it like any high-temp RTV sealent except made by Honda? Thanks guys…

Originally posted by lushboy
What is Honda bond? Is it like any high-temp RTV sealent except made by Honda?
Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Later,
BR

RTV!
Schu

I currently have a leaky plug as well, any idea where I can pick up some honda bond?

and an ultra newbie question, any suggestions on how to apply it, and how hard is it to replace (the plug)?

Originally posted by straatsma
[B]I currently have a leaky plug as well, any idea where I can pick up some honda bond?

and an ultra newbie question, any suggestions on how to apply it, and how hard is it to replace (the plug)? [/B]

If your cam end plug is leaking, I’d suggest replacing it with the 96+ integra part as BR said or buy an aftermarket seal. Even with Hondabond, the stock one will eventually leak.

As for the “how to”, it’s fairly simple. Just remove valve cover, remove exhuast cam oil rail, then remove the left-most cam holder where the seal is and replace the seal. Reverse the order to put everthing back together. Remember to torque everything down correctly and in the right order.

Here’s a pic of the stock seal and an aftermarket one I got on eBay for $18.

can the 96-up gs-r cam plug fit my 91 b18a1? thats the black round thing on my left side of the engine right? help me out! oil leaking!

the gsr doesn’t have a cam seal i believe cause thats where the vtec silinoid sits but the cam seal from a 96 teg should work fine.

honda bond

any one know where i can get some hondabond?
local auto zone ?? advanced??

from your honda/acura dealer thats where i got mine it was like $13

i bought a generic billet cam seal on ebay has two o-rings and didnt need any sealant at all and its been bout a year…no leak so far…pretty nice product for about 10 bux…

Damn, old thread back from the grave.
It must be a Holloween thing.

The Cam plug is behind the vtec solinoid BTW.

cam plug…

i went and bought an oem plug from acura…but i was thinking

the billet aftermarket just hav ig o rings onthem…
wat if i put about 2 thick o-rings on my old plug and put it in ther with hondabond…i dont see how that wouldnt work>???

any comments???