Cold Air vs. Short Ram

The picture above is a short ram intake.

Will I notice a performance increase going to a ram intake (From ebay) from a stock air box without resinator. about how much HP? and what would I notice, THEN, what about going from a eam air to a CAI? And noticeable difference there?

Im kinda of leaning towrds ram air becasue I dont want any problems with hydro lock…

Mike

I went from the no resonator, no bottom side of air box thing to an AEM CAI and there was a noticeable difference. What I want in the end is a short ram in an air box. So you get the same cold air from a CAI, less piping length for quicker response, and no water risk(which i’m not really worried about eevn when it’s raining). Boy do they look cool!

The only real difference between a AEM CAI and an ebay CAI is the filter(which is why I bought the AEM), the carb sticker (which I don’t care about), and the fact that its light (not made of steel). I am also sure the AEM will fit where as the ebay stuff is often questionable.

Originally posted by 93Teg44444
[B]I went from the no resonator, no bottom side of air box thing to an AEM CAI and there was a noticeable difference. What I want in the end is a short ram in an air box. So you get the same cold air from a CAI, less piping length for quicker response, and no water risk(which i’m not really worried about eevn when it’s raining). Boy do they look cool!

The only real difference between a AEM CAI and an ebay CAI is the filter(which is why I bought the AEM), the carb sticker (which I don’t care about), and the fact that its light (not made of steel). I am also sure the AEM will fit where as the ebay stuff is often questionable. [/B]

What I’m doin is sorta like this. I have a short ram intake because from what I understand, it’s better at producing low end power than a CAI. It’s just a plain old aluminum intake tube with a Blitz SUS filter on it. I moved my battery to the back so right now I’m working on building a heat shield out of ABS plastic and some thermal lining from thermotec. I removed my resonator and cut the plastic away under the mud guard and covered the hole with some mesh. I am still trying to decide whether or not to run a tube from the hole to the resonator hole, or do the extension like in the teg tips section. I’ve even thought about cutting a hole in my 93 bumper and installing a tube from there to the resonator hole. but I thought I’d save that until I go full-race with it.

You should try the ram air extension in teg tips, it helped me alot. iI have an HKS filter with the original plastic arm thingamajig and i felt a significant increase of power.

saw this on a site…

For every 11 degrees F that you lower the intake air temperature, you’re reward with approximately a 1-percent horsepower increase.

So if your underhood temperatures are in the 165 degree F range and it’s 80 degrees F outside, you’ll get a 7.7 percent increase by ducting outside cool air to the intake.

in case the pic gets lost, its the sticker on the AEM intake

CAUTION! - If you anticipate traversing deep water (over 16", less if vehicle has been altered) remove the AEM Cold Air extension and replace it with the original equipment air intake system

archivethis

buy a ebay cai and cut it for a short ram and buy a silicone sleeve and figure out which one you want to use

i was reading on another board that the only real difference you feel with AEM CAI is the power spike. thats all. the AEM does provide other power but thats the most you’ll see. and short rams are good for very high revving engines. i heard of many type r ownders ditching their AEM CAI for a nicely made short ram intake. if i find that discussion ill link you guys. it was very in depth. something im not too good at

Daym, who dug this thread up?
I think I posted here back in November…hahaha. :smiley:

Maybe it was this link, which I ran into earlier when I did a google search on aem integra intake filters

http://www.hondalife.com/articles/intaketech.htm

It’s a good read with some dyno tests, which aren’t at all definitive but interesting none the less (two different cars were compared, the cold air was not simulated on the dyno, etc., but there is one dyno test between equal diameter intakes on the same car).

Originally posted by 2simplex
i was reading on another board that the only real difference you feel with AEM CAI is the power spike. thats all. the AEM does provide other power but thats the most you’ll see. and short rams are good for very high revving engines. i heard of many type r ownders ditching their AEM CAI for a nicely made short ram intake. if i find that discussion ill link you guys. it was very in depth. something im not too good at

i found that the underhood temps in the stock location are the same when you are moving, otherwise when at a stop it can rise 30-40F, then lowers back to ambient once you’re moving again. so focus should still remain on intake diameter and length.