Flywheel removal?

Hey so my B18a is sitting out of the car and iv managed to remove the clutch disc and pressure plate but getting a wrench on the flywheel just makes it spin. i called a few autoshops and they dont sell a “flywheel holder” (which the haynes book recommends) so how do i get this thing out?
i have searched a little but didnt come across anything helpful. Can someone point me in the right direction please? thanks! :slight_smile:

just stick a bolt through a hole in the flywheel to lodge against the block

one of the best and most useful tools I own,

thats a acura factory tool, I got mine from my mecanic whos an acura head tech. but im sure you could find one on a snapon, cornwell or other tool truck.

other wise your best bet is to have some one try to wedge it with a prybar or screwdriver. Air impact guns make this job alot easier aswell.

I don’t have the photos on this computer unfortunately, but I’ll try to explain.

1. Get your 14mm combination wrench
  2. Get one of the Engine-to-Transmission “through” bolts (the ones that bolt the trans to the engine)
  3. Slip the bolt through the closed end of the wrench.
  4. Thread the bolt into the block where it normally goes, don’t need to put it in as far as possible, just enough so it provides enough support.
  5. At this point you should have a wrench bolted to your engine, it’ll be hanging there.
  6. Swing the wrench upwards toward the flywheel. Rotate the flywheel (counter-clockwise) and put the wrench in such a position that the open end locks onto one of the pressure plate alignment pins.
  7. Now the wrench should be holding itself in place between the flywheel and the bolt through the block. This will hold the flywheel in place as you remove the bolts.
  • NOTE * You will need to rotate the flywheel clockwise (step 6) if you’re installing the flywheel.

you could try using a “flywheel turner”

[QUOTE=Colin;2090944]I don’t have the photos on this computer unfortunately, but I’ll try to explain.

2. Get one of the Engine-to-Transmission “through” bolts (the ones that bolt the trans to the engine)
  4. Thread the bolt into the block where it normally goes, don’t need to put it in as far as possible, just enough so it provides enough support.
  5. At this point you should have a wrench bolted to your engine, it’ll be hanging there.
  6. Swing the wrench upwards toward the flywheel. Rotate the flywheel (counter-clockwise) and put the wrench in such a position that the open end locks onto one of the pressure plate alignment pins.
  7. Now the wrench should be holding itself in place between the flywheel and the bolt through the block. This will hold the flywheel in place as you remove the bolts.
  • NOTE * You will need to rotate the flywheel clockwise (step 6) if you’re installing the flywheel.[/QUOTE]

you’ve always got some great ideas man i like that :rockon:

Just passing on what I learned from the Guru :wink:

[QUOTE=Colin;2090944]I don’t have the photos on this computer unfortunately, but I’ll try to explain.

• NOTE * You will need to rotate the flywheel clockwise (step 6) if you’re installing the flywheel.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Genius, I’ll try that first thing tomorrow, thanks a lot! Cheers :slight_smile:

I did it pretty quick and easy.
Hold the crank pulley in place with the specialty tool and that will keep the crank from spinning. It is also handy if you ever do the timing belt yourself.

There are a few types, here is an example:
http://www.etooldirect.com/schley-products-60100a-long-acura-honda-crank-pulley-holder.html

two words: impact gun, man I guess I forgot what its like to work without one

HAHA heres the thing, i have an impact and everything. BUT, and this is gonna sound retarded but nothing but a wrench fits on the flywheel bolts. my 1/2 18mm,19mm,3/4 sockets dont fit or spin on there… What size did u put on?!
Heres another weird thing, and keep in mine this is my first rebuild, my 18mm wrench fits just perfectly on the bitch…:werd:
What size did you guys all use?!

it is a 17mm 12 point socket thats needed for the flywheel bolts

huh…cuz nothing under a 19mm fits on mine…im sure im using 12 point sockets but ill double check or just use your method if that doesn work.

thats what mine took haha that would be really off if you had different flywheel bolts

yea that’s true, maybe im just stupid lol

BLKACK1- any idea where I could find that flywheel tool?

Flywheel bolts are 17mm 12 point. If they are anything other than that then they are not OEM. If you have shitty sockets they may not fit well.

interesting cause my OEM auto trans flexplate bolts were 17mm 12 point and then the manual flywheel bolts sent with the trans i got were 17mm also. i know nothing of the previous repair history on this car though so…
not doubting you Colin at all i guess i got 2 sets that werent OEM haha

[QUOTE=BLKACK1;2090908]one of the best and most useful tools I own,

thats a acura factory tool, I got mine from my mecanic whos an acura head tech. but im sure you could find one on a snapon, cornwell or other tool truck.[/QUOTE]
:smiley:

If you know anyone that works a the dealership, the tool is made specifly for a 08 TL, IIRC and cost me about $80. other wise try and track down one of those trucks :slight_smile:

I knew you were gonna quote your post. I swear I read it. :angel:

You answered my question perfectly though. I’ve found a couple that look very similar to those, just not exactly. I didn’t want to order one and have it not work. I’ll play it safe and order the 08 TL tool from the dealership. Thanks a lot man :rockon: