Gas Station quality comparison/info

Originally posted by XDEep
ugh but when do you fill up and how many gallons did you fill, was it consistent… theres a least 2gallons left when my gas light is steady and bright

yes, your car gives you 2 gallons when the light turns on, according to the owner’s manual. so, you know you have 40-60 miles on the highway to get some more. i would rather have a greater reserve, then be given 10 miles left over.

Originally posted by texnteg
additive and quality is compared across the board. i don’t know much about 76, isn’t that in cal only? you’ll be good with shell.

around here shell is hte WORST gas u can get…they are FAMOUS for diluting it with water (of course, problems came up…) but I heard it’s still really bad

damn, they would have had huge fines slapped on them if they were diluting. royal-dutch shell is a very respected company. i am suprised. it may have been the operator of the station doing that, trying to make a little extra money. unless it was all of BC. i’m gonna have to find out more about that.

ARCHIVETHIS

texnteg thats some good info :up:

:bow:

texnteg, any info on all this water diluting business? was this a past issue thats subsided? even as a kid i remember people complaining about arco doing the same so avoid at all costs… are laws stricter now? whats the likelyhood of coming across one, and how can you tell?

i talked to my dad this morning about the whole diluting thing. he said it is a very bad business practice and is not always done by the larger companies. see, in many places the stations are not owned by the company. they are owned by retailers who pay to have the brand name on the sign and the gasoline in the tanks. well, they are out to make a few bucks too. i remember some texaco retailers were getting their fuel from a cheaper company(exxon, amaco…) and my uncle found out. those retailers were out of business. cause they were using the texaco label on an inferior product. it would be like honda selling parts to you that are ford parts labeled as honda. kinda.

anyways, the gasoline diluted with water is a big problem for your motor. the reason why they did this was so that they could buy the same amount of product but sell a little more. you can see why that is a bad business ethics. it gives the consumers problems and the company a bad reputation. he doesn’t know too much about the whole shell problem in british columbia that max was talking about. because, well… he has never dealt with canada. i’m sure, if there was public awareness and then government awareness, and it was shell diluting. there were nice fines to pay and maybe a few court dates.

you really cannot tell if there is water in gasoline when your pumping it, once its already in your car. cause, it won’t run right. and then the best thing is to run that tank dry. our first freeze we ever had in houston, we got moisture into the gas tank of one of the cutlasses. because the tank was half-full and the car was outside. the car was running bad and stumbled. we had the whole tank drained and ran some type of anti-moisture fuel additive. i guess they sell it at local auto parts stores. anyways, there isn’t much you can do and i don’t know the long-term affects of getting moisture in your vehicle. but, if you get water mixed with gasoline in your car. your still burning and there is an igniting going on. so, the water just flows and turns to steam. you just have to get it out of that tank. so, yes its a problem…but it can be remedied.
its really more of a business ethics problem. they know they are cheating the customer for an extra buck. its not something to be paranoid about when your filling up. it seems to be a very rare problem.

true… ya that stuff is called HEET fuel line anti-freeze (99cents at pep boys). really helps with emissions, as stated in my ‘how to pass smog’ tip.

yeah it was something like that. in fact, we are having another snowstorm(into the single digits) about to roll in, so i think i may pick some up or take the car home and let it be garaged.

Glad I’m not the only one! I’ve been using Chevron for years on my teg and had good gas mileage. Some reason this past month it dropped quite a few; thinking it was a bad O2 Sensor or something. But then I tried filling up with Shell for the first time and now I get the great mileage again. :shrug:

they do add stuff to gasoline in the winter time don’t they?

yes, there is a special formulation for winter time. its commonly called “winter blend”. it helps with quicker cold starts and also keeps from freezing until well below zero F. it burns a little hotter, which maybe why it burns a little quicker. not sure about that. i’m not sure if they use the winter blend in the southern states though, i don’t see a real need for it if the temps don’t get below freezing often.

Originally posted by texnteg
damn, they would have had huge fines slapped on them if they were diluting. royal-dutch shell is a very respected company. i am suprised. it may have been the operator of the station doing that, trying to make a little extra money. unless it was all of BC. i’m gonna have to find out more about that.

There was actually. People were complaining that Shell’s additive was the cause in fuel injector failures. I wasn’t aware of it until it was too late. So, when I checked Shell’s website, they put up a formal apology article. So, I didn’t really get any real details as to what actually happened. I believe one of the Montreal papers ran an article about it, but I missed that too.

Regards,

Oz

I am by no means an expert but do work for a petroleum company. This company essentially builds gas stations and all the lifers there (pretty knowledgable) swear that the best fuel is SHELL and the worst being HUSKY/MOHAWK. Again these guys are not chemists but this is their field and live it every day. (CANADA)

What are everyone’s thoughts on ESSO gasoline? I use it and i seems fine, but I was wondering if Shell, Petro-Canada, or any ethanol-blended gasolines are any better??

~Eric

the same guys that rate shell #1 rate esso #2.

anybody know anything about Sunoco. They just put one in near my house. It seems fine to me, but i usually get the crappier, localized, cheap gas.

Originally posted by curls
[B]What are everyone’s thoughts on ESSO gasoline? I use it and i seems fine, but I was wondering if Shell, Petro-Canada, or any ethanol-blended gasolines are any better??

~Eric [/B]

Petro Canada does not use Ethanol as a way to enhance the octane rating. They use MTBE. Sunoco Canada is a big proponent of Ethanol to my knowledge when it comes to their high octane fuels. As for Esso, it has one of the highest sulphur content around (I believe highest in Canada). Sunoco Canada is the least, therefore deemed by experts as clean-burning.

I cannot say for sure if American gas stations actually get their fuel from Canadian refineries (ie. Sunoco USA using the same Sunoco Canada fuels).

Regards,

Oz

bump, want to hear more on gas, and what’s the best :up: