How high can i safely rev?

And you have an even better r/s with the b17a1[crank].

Thanxx for the input guys, one of the reason i was asking is because i read up on skunk 2 s2 cams and i read that u have to build ur top end and rev high in order to use the cams to there full potential, i dont think that 9000 is to much to ask, i have friends that shift at 10 !!! and rotory;s some rev to 13 000 with pressed apex seals and lightened rotors!!! Thanxx for the info though guys

:rockon:

You can’t compare a piston engine to a rotary engine when talking about reving.
However… my street ported 13b.[high compression on boost] seen 8500 to 9000 on almost every shift and that was with stock internals… ie 3mm apex seals and side seals. I still feel that my b17 revs really well for a piston engine though. And the sound of the vtec singing @ 9000 rpms sound so good to my ears. Again… this just my style of driving… I know of many that likes low end power over high reving.

Here, get one of these. Click Here :giggle:

somebody correct me if i’m wrong, but i was under the impression that Skunk S2 cams provide more mid-range than high-end.

what do you concider “mid range” ? and or “high-end” for that matter. :hmm:

Generally mid-range in a VTEC motor means 4-6K and then you start seeing the power curve trail off as it reaches redline.

I usually say mid-range because the RPM ranges are different for different motors. i.e. on a LS that doesn’t rev as high as a VTEC, mid-range might be 3.5K-5.5K

Stage II: Stage II profiles are more aggressive than Stage I profiles, and are designed for modified engines operating at higher rev ranges. Upgrading to Skunk2 Racing valvetrain components is required for proper operation. Stock idle and emission characteristics may be slightly compromised, but fair-to-good driveability allows them to still be used on dual-purpose vehicles. Proper tuning, an upgraded intake system, and an exhaust system are required in order to maximize the potential of these camshafts. Do not use oversized valves.

HIGHER REVING RANGES, correct me if im wrong but that dose not say MID REVING RANGES, thats strait off there site, unless you know something that they dont then i think i might be right :rockon:

if they told you these cams made 25whp on their site, would you believe that, too? :hmm:

Of course these cams will make more power than their stage1 cams in mid-high ranges…that’s pretty obvious.

But i’m just saying I saw a dyno graph with stage 2s and the power curve started trailing off as it got closer to redline. Eventhen, it still made more power than stock in the high RPM.

Either way, they are good cams…there is no arguing that and I’m not trying to talk you out of them. It was a hypothetical question.

reading material
Int-266 dur. / 12.3mm lift
Exh-262 dur. / 11.8mm lift
Valve Springs to be used: Skunk2 preferred but Port Flow will work as well. These cams are wild enough that you should not be
using the low 8200rpms rev limit.
Description: The new top dog of the cam world. This will become the most common aftermarket (non OEM) cam in the US when they start getting distributed more. These have a very similar power band as the JUN Type 3, with less cost and better reliability (I said the “r” word). Not huge midrange but very good gains from 7000rpms all the way to 9000rpms(peak is usually around 8200rpms). These cams have stock idle characteristics, thus making them the ultimate street/strip cam. I recommend using Skunk2 cam gears with these cams.

you’re going about this completely backwards, first thing you need to figure out is what is the maximum CR you’re going to be running, are you going to run on pump gas? If so that limits you to 11 or 12:1 CR,

once you have figured out what your final compression ratio will be, then you choose a cam with duration/lift specs that will work the best with your given CR. Finding the right relationship between Cam’s and CR is key to producing the most power.

Then after you have done those two things, you dyno your car and you figure out where it’s making it’s peak power and you only raise the redline as high as you have to.

Remember that the more you raise the redline the quicker you’ll see your engine blow-up, so only raise it as much as you have to, and that depends on your peak HP location, which depends on your cams & cr.

What do you think that a compression ratio of 11.4:1 CP pistons[.40 over bore], blocked decked .03 , head shaved.03 would be? If you need any other info… I will try to provide. I figured… somewhere in the high 11.x:1 which should be ideal for the S2S2 cams and still be pumpgasable with either stock timming or a few degrees advanced. :hmm:

Why do you want to rev to 9K? The most i’ve ever heard anybody taking a motor was a b18c5 or a b16 (remember rod/stroke limits RPM ceilings) was about 8700rpm. 1/4 mile times depend on alot of variables, you cant just spit out specs on a motor and expect a realistic 1/4 mile time. Alot depends on weight, auto or manual, motor size, reaction times, boosted or non-boosted.