Maintaining your turbo...

I would like some info from you turbo experts for some tips&tricks on maintaining a turbo engine.

There is a good possibility that I will be getting a Turbo Talon soon, so that’s why I’m asking.

TIA,

Oz

Factory Turbo car’s aren’t as high maintenance as an engine that was not meant to have a turbo, ie Tegs, but here are some universal tips that should help you:

1. Change oil every 3K miles
  2. Change fuel filter every 10K
  3. Sparkplugs at least every 10K

And don’t ever feed it after midnight:D

Thanks Integracon,

Just curious if I should change the oil every 3k with synthetic or regular oil? And also, should I leave the engine running idle for a minute before turning it off? BTW, the Talon that I’m looking at has an upgraded 16G turbo rather than the stock 14G.

Thanks,

Oz

Factory turbo cars have safeguards already installed for cooling turbo. No need to idle before turning off. Use synthetic oil.

What safeguards are you referring to? The only safeguard I know of is a turbo timer and that doesn’t come stock on any car. It even states on my vw owners manual to let the turbo cool off after long or hard drives by idling for a few minutes.

Some cars have electric oil pumps that keep oil running through the turbo after the car has been shut off.

Originally posted by AMERIKAN
Some cars have electric oil pumps that keep oil running through the turbo after the car has been shut off.

Is there a way I can find out? I’ve been perusing through the DSM sites and haven’t found any info relating to this.

Thanks,

Oz

My friend is putting a timer on his golf. any ideas on how long he should set it to for.

Simple rule of thumb:
Regular driving= 30-45 seconds
Whooping it like a redheaded slutbag= 1-1:30

If you seriously cant afford an extra minute everytime you get to a place, well then you got bigger issues than turbo longevity

FYI: DSM’s dont have electric oil primers, I cant think of a car that does

Pete
91TSi-

Originally posted by witckraft
Simple rule of thumb:
Regular driving= 30-45 seconds
Whooping it like a redheaded slutbag= 1-1:30

if anyone tells you something different then this, kick them in the crotch. these people letting their cars run for 3-5 minutes after driving are nutjobs and are doing more harm then good.