My timing is off, way off, Help!

My timing is way off, I’ve taken my timing belt off, tried to put it together, but it won’t start.
I am 100% sure it is the timing.

Do all the marks have to be DEAD on for the car to start? Cam gear marks, mark on the oil pan and crankshaft. Plus how loose can I have the timingbelt? The bastard is so hard to get tight.

Also, when the timing marks on the oil pan and crankshaft are aligned, the 3 marks on the pulley do not line up with the timing mark on the timing belt cover. Is that normal? If not, what happened and how can I fix this?

P.S. When my car died, the distributor was loose, I also noticed the car was running a liitle rich, I constantly smelled fuel while driving in the car a couple weeks before it died.
Not sure if that would of had to do anything with the marks not lining up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I haven’t driven my teg for over 3 months now,
sniff, sniff, I miss my baby.

You’re gonna need a helms manual, it explains everything u need to know in there. I believe someone has the link in their signature on this site to download it.

Ken

ya read the procedure carefully, everything will line up and the belt will tension correctly.

One more question

The helms manual talks about the tdc mark on the pulley, would that be one of the three marks that look like this III, or the one that is farther down by itself?

thanks again

Re: One more question

Originally posted by carbonfiber
[B]The helms manual talks about the tdc mark on the pulley, would that be one of the three marks that look like this III, or the one that is farther down by itself?

thanks again [/B]

the white mark,which if my memory serves me right (and i’m pretty sure it does) is the one by itself.
Another way to make sure is pull out your spark plug, and put a long screw driver in cylinder 1. you will see the screwdriver come up as the white mark nears the pointer. The white mark linin up with the pointer means that the No.1 piston is at Top dead center, so wouldn’t it make sense that something on top of the piston would be pushed to the top?