Need Opinions for options to fix busted head

[QUOTE=buymysoul;2149835]But I should be able to visually see any damage to the rods from the bottom that would lead to a serious issue further down the road, right (without having to remove them)?

My question about heads was kind of rhetorical as I would assume most of the (B16) heads out there for sale individually came from problem engines and they may or may not be in the best of shape. I’m much more willing to buy a B17 head used because there is actually a demand for the bottom end.

I hear you about waiting. I am just trying to think about what direction would be the most logical at this point. I’ll get that oil pan off and check out the rods and get a better idea of what I may be dealing with.

Oh, and sportsman1539, why in the world would I want a B16 cable tranny? I already have a short geared YS1 that I can drop almost any 92+ internals into (like a Type R LSD or any number of aftermarket gear sets).

Kimban, I am going to text you right now (actually, I’ll wait until it isn’t stupid early in CA)…

Thanks to everyone for your comments and well wishes. I was really fearing that someone would step in and tell me what a tool I am for fucking up a perfectly good B17 (because I certainly feel like one). I should have left the damn cam seals alone unless they were leaking…

Robin[/QUOTE]

My bad man… I read your vehicle description wrong. I thought you had a gs not a gs-r… Yea scratch what i said about the b16 tranny… lol

i don’t think overtightening the caps would cause seizing. the cams ride on oil as their bearing. the caps will sit the same regardless of their tension

[QUOTE=OMG Its Weasel;2149896]mine is more OG than yours man, mine is the lever style that flexes a bit and has no moving parts.
looks like this:

got it like 5 or 6 years ago

ive noticed that mine sometimes doesnt return to zero, to be honest, ive never actually had mine calibrated, i just went back to sears and showed them that it was off and they replaced it[/QUOTE]

some prefer these over mechanical wrenches and claim them to be most accurate

[QUOTE=welfare;2150136]i don’t think overtightening the caps would cause seizing. the cams ride on oil as their bearing. the caps will sit the same regardless of their tension

some prefer these over mechanical wrenches and claim them to be most accurate[/QUOTE]

especially when sears replaces them for free everytime they “malfunction”
yes i know im probably just getting my old one back, but they fixed/calibrated it and i didnt have to pay or wait so it doesnt matter to me!!!

ahah <3 sears.

[QUOTE=welfare;2150136]i don’t think overtightening the caps would cause seizing. the cams ride on oil as their bearing. the caps will sit the same regardless of their tension

[/QUOTE]

Go overtighten your rod or main crank caps and tell me what happens.

Ha ha. You guys are funny.

I think I agree with a post above about starting fresh but I’ll take a different route.

I bought that head from Kimban and after it gets here and gets checked out/pressure tested and new valve stem seals from the machine shop, I’ll open up the old motor and check out the bottom end. If stuff looks good, I’ll slap it together and see what happens. If something looks off, I’ll order a B18C GSR motor from Hmotorsonline (they are still one of the best, right?) and put it in then refreh the B17.

That way, all my bases are covered.

Thanks!

Robin

Hmotorsonline IS the best.
i know of at least 6 motors that have been imported by them, two of them are still internally stock B20s on boost making just about 270whp on conservative tune/boost. my motor has the HMO stamp, and after 2 different turbo setups from previous owners, at least 4 other owners using it as a spare motor (incl. me) and sitting for a few months it still pulls great compression and less than 1% leakdown. HMO does shit right. motors leave there only if they inspect like a low mileage honda should, flawlessly.

i still don’t think it would cause seizing. damage, yes.

It would seize from the lack of oil needed to lubricate the cam. Something similar happend to a friend years ago. The moron that installed her CTR cams put the caps in the wrong order. The car stalled on her a couple of miles from her house. I helped her push it home and the next day I went over to fix it and the cams seized from lack of lubrication. Sucked for her as she spent almost 1k in the port and polish and valvetrain on it.

yea, actually i thought about it, and the heat from friction would cause a lack of lubrication and seizure. my bad

or i should say, lack of clearance causing lack of lubrication, causing friction, causing heat. either way, my bad

I’m surprised noones said anything about the endyn heads. For 1100 you can get a virtually race-built head. - cams. but they have bump stix in stock now :slight_smile: