Rotors dont warp!!!

I 0wn @ll !!

bumping back up cause the sticky lost it’s stickiness.

eeewww, now my hands are all sticky.

sorry bout that. i think i got some on your chin too. :stuck_out_tongue:

It was my poor attempt to imitate Butters from South Park. He says a line like that in one of the shows.

Ferrets in a gaywad mood today. :gay: :nana:

hah i remember that one.

my favorite butters line would have to be from the awesome-o episode. “I’ve always wanted to have a huge package!!”

Cartman - aka AWESOME-O 4000

“Awesome-O, are you a … pleasure robot?”
“WHAT?”

[SIZE=6]LAME!!![/SIZE]

bringing this back from the grave

i have been thinking about rotors and the warping myth quite a bit lately. it started when a student at my school was trying to convince me that since i painted my calipers while still connected to the hub/rotor the overspray in someway was going to warp the rotors. UH HUH yeah like that would everyhappen, by time i got out of the shop the paint on the rotor face would be rubbed off probably. but i couldnt convince him nothing bad would really happen. so i just ignored him while he kept telling me over and over they were going to warp.

then today theres this kid in the 1st term classes that has an avenger. just put 17’s on it(with 245/45/17 tires, fuckers are massive.) so big that they ARE rubbing the rear knuckle/spindle arm and real close to the front. He brought it in because it was vibrating. i told the teacher as soon as the car came in the tires were way to big but nobody listened to me. about 2 hours later they were looking at the front wheels and I pointed out a Massive 1ftx1ft hole worn into the front of both front splashsheilds/fender liners. proving it was rubbing some there.

anyways they determined it was “warped rotors” causing the vibration. both front rotors were seized on the hub, they used hammers/pullers/torch niothing work. they had to use a 10lb sledge to finally break it loose. and everyone kept saying the rotors are warped even the teacher.

i asked the teach how exactly a rotor does warp, gave me this long lecture about them, and how you can tell with the mic/dial indicator. i even printed off the carrol smith tech. article from stoptechs website. and still i could not convince anyone in the class that they DO NOT WARP.

i got to thinking deep into this. if a rotor were to warp(just if it did), both the front and the back sides would warp with each other in theory. if this would happen you wouldnt see any thickness varation anywhere on the rotor face since they warped with each other the thickness would never change. In my mind this would make sense if a rotor did warp.

but like what most on here beleive about the leftover pad material buildup which causes it, it would cause the “TV”, both on the front and backsides of the rotor since pad is on both sides. the buildup over time would just keep increasing the “TV” just like in the stop tech article. Which i do believe in 125% as the cause of “Warped Rotors”

Now how could one convince someone, esp. a teacher that has 35+years of Auto Mech. under his belt, that they really dont warp? :think:

shoot him.

as he lay in pain on the floor, say “rotors don’t warp, bitch.”

LMAO you wanna donate the coughcoughfirearmcoughAKcoughcough just make sure you leave your finger prints

i just dont know what else to tell everyone at school to convince them :crazy: maybe since i know its for the best

Hes set in his ways. Oh well. Leave him alone.

Ben

yeah i am kinda thinking that too

i dunno i guess it just bugs me more than anything

While I do like Armed Ferret’s suggestion :gunright: . I would have to agree with Ben. Some people will just refuse to open their mind when they would rather open their mouth.

You can also try asking him if rotors warp so badly then why wouldn’t you see severe cracks and separation in the vent fins between the rotor? Also, if it is so easy to warp rotors then why when road course racers crash (and they get rotors red hot), don’t they jump in front of the camera during the interview:

“What went wrong?”
“Well, you know we were running pretty good, but then the rotors warped and the wheel jerked out of my hand and then I hit a barrier? We’ll get it done next week.”

Then, if that doesn’t work, you can borrow Ferret’s AK. :danger:

:tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

I agree. Rotors don’t warp from regular use and under heavy use they either accumulate pad material, crack or shatter (the latter applies more for composite brakes). If they’re warped it’s usually a manufacturing defect.