short geared tranny

well im running an ls tranny on my ls/vtec (soon to be turbo) and its slow! so i want to get a short geared tranny, but i wanted to ask those who made the switch if you notice any extra wear and tear or drop in mpg? i know that it will make me run higher rpms in the gears, so for anyone who has made the switch let me know how it has affected your car

I don’t speak from personal experience, but everyone generally has stated that the MPGs will definitely take a hit. Like it or not, tall gears equal better fuel economy. And of course, the reason you want a shorter geared tranny is so you CAN go faster, and that will just make MPG even worse.

Most people love the shorter tranny’s though. And it won’t increase wear and tear, the fact that you have a LS/VTEC should be enough wear and tear on it’s own :giggle:

well i dont have a ghetto $300 ls/vtec setup, there is some serious cash in this setup, if anything im gonna try to snag a short geared tranny and an ls 5th gear to keep my fuel economy, i just have to find said 5th gear and short geared tranny

I’m not dissin’ LS/VTEC.

I am not sure, but you need to check the final drive ratio also. A LS 5th may still rev higher than when it was in a all-LS tranny because of the final drive gearing. But, you should have no problem getting a 5th gear from a LS…the real challenge is getting a good condition shorter tranny.

tell me about it

Personally I didn’t find there to be any gas mileage differences, although my comparisons aren’t the best…but here’s my situation:

Original setup:
b18a w/ about 190k, in decent condition
stock a1 tranny
got 24-28mpg

Next setup:
rebuilt b17a, higher compression, 13lb flywheel
gsr ys1 trans
Mileage went up a little. Avg was 25-30 depending on driving style, but I would say that it was easier for me to get 30mpg with this setup than the the previous one. And I wasn’t babying it either. This is still me going typical highway speeds (70-85) and not exactly being light on the throttle.

Current Setup:
same old b18a as before
gsr ys1 trans
I still get right about what I did with the previous setup, maybe a little less. But I don’t think its any worse than with the a1 trans. I usually get aroudn 28mpg, but its hard to compare since I do a lot more freeway driving now, and my driving style has changed a little bit.

Basically, I saw minor fluctuations in mpg, but nothing very serious at all, and nothing that couldn’t be overcome by just having a little lighter right foot if you need to convserve gas. Oh, and if you want another similar situation to mine, talk to Archon, he was getting amazing gas mileage w/ his b17a/ys1 setup.

how are your rpms at tha 70-85 mph speeds?

I don’t remember exactly, but its just a stock gsr ys1 trans… so just like every gsr out there. Something like 4-4.5k? I don’t really pay attention anymore.

I just looked this up real quick. From what I remember, this site should be accurate. And according to them at 70mph in 5th gear you are at 3871 rpm, which sounds about right to me.

http://www.autocrossing.com/cgi-bin/gearcalc.cgi

[QUOTE=power2weight]I’m not dissin’ LS/VTEC.

you should have no problem getting a 5th gear from a LS [QUOTE]

FYI: You can’t get the 90-91 LS 5th counter gear from Acura / Honda they are sold out and discontinued. I’m thinking about having some made so that I can sell them.

i have a ys1 lsd tranny… i average 80 mph on the fwy. rpms at 4500-5000

200 hp lsvtec, ctr cams and hondata

i get 30.3 miles per gallon

just found out that they are making a hydro conversion kit for the da, so im gonna go with a 94 gsr tranny, 80 mph it estimates to be around 3900 which is perfect

i hate when everyone says a short geared tranny will result in a loss in mpg. totally false. its not wat rpms ur at its the position of the throttle. say someone is at 5000 rpms but the throttle position is 1/4 and then another person at 3500 rpms and there throttle is at almost 1/2. the person with the throttle open at half is burning more fuel because more air is coming in thus more fuel and thus it doesnt matter the rpms it matters the way you drive. i drive around at 4500 rpms all the time and my gas mileage is the same since the swap to short geared tranny.

yah when i went from ls ys1 to gsr ys1 i didnt notice any difference in mpg

well its not the mpg im worried about, its the rpms and higher speeds

Clemsonteg- I hope you don’t mind me using your thread about performance difference between those two transmission.

I wouldn’t worry about the MPG which will not be much difference. Does anybody have idea how much difference in et. time on S1 and YS1 tranny? I’m about to buy YS1 thought it would help with my performance?

why? just the added wear and tear?

the added wear and tear and the noise35-300 isnt bad but 4500 is over doing it

I see the wear and tear being worth it, but if you’re gonna do that much freeway driving where there isn’t really any advantage of being that high in rpm, then there’s always gear swapping options, and if you don’t want to go quite as tall as the LS 5th, you can use the G3 gsr 5th which is sort of a compromise.

As for the noise… it was never a problem for me. Albeit I do have a quiet exhaust (RS*R), and “too loud” is very subjective anyway.

The trick is Si tranny have shorter gear ratios. so go for a Si tranny. ls tranny are good for nitrous.