Slow to heat up

Hey guys, it takes my car about 15 mins of command start and about 10 mins of driving for my car to go to normal temp… The car drives fine but the interior heat sucks balls untill then! What do you think? New thermometer?

My first thought would be thermostat.

definately new thermometer.

haha jkjk prolly a new thermostat would solve the problem mine used to take forever to warm up and as it got colder outside and i was drivin at a decent speed the temp would peg back down all the way cold just from the air flow…i put a new theermostat in and its back to normal all is well

yeah sorry wasn’t thinking, I have the thermostat in my garage… didnt have a new gasket for it so I didn’t put it in, I guess I’ll get to that this weekend!

Finnally changed it this weekend, still takes forever to heat up, any other ideas? would air in the line affect this? (I bled it for about 30 mins but the heat is still a little less warm than I would like at stop lights)…

possibly your coolant temperature switch.

how would i check/change that?

What is your temperature gauge reading? About halfway?

Check the valve near the firewall that controls flow of coolant to your heater core, maybe it isn’t opening all the way.

How cold it is it where you live? We had freezing temperatures here recently, my car took longer than usual to warm up.

Have you verified that your thermostat is opening/closing? A stuck open thermostat could be the culprit. I know you said you replaced it, but unless it is possible to get a bad one.

had the same prob for a long time and finally replaced my thermostat and all is good now! car warms up in less then 10 mins!

[QUOTE=BoonyBoun;2100840]What is your temperature gauge reading? About halfway?

Check the valve near the firewall that controls flow of coolant to your heater core, maybe it isn’t opening all the way.

How cold it is it where you live? We had freezing temperatures here recently, my car took longer than usual to warm up.

Have you verified that your thermostat is opening/closing? A stuck open thermostat could be the culprit. I know you said you replaced it, but unless it is possible to get a bad one.[/QUOTE]

pretty fricken cold, takes longer now, than when I had my previous thermostat, but that was at the same temperature. this is the second new one so I doubt stuck open is the problem, how am I checking that valve?.. and yeah its reading at about halfway…

Are the hoses heating up going to the heater? You might try and flush out your heater core by running water through it to make sure it is not plugged. When my gauge is at the middle it is blowing hot. So that is why I said to check the hoses and see if both are hot.

it does blow hot when its in the middle… its just really slow to heat up :frowning: and I have to drive about 5-15 mins for it to actually get there :shrug: