strange sound while turning- not cv

I hear it when i take a right side exit and while i am on the ramp still turning and going at 30-35, but i dont hear it when i make a sharp turn after a stop light or while driving in the city, only while driving on curves, taking an exit for example - which means i only hear it while driving faster.

it sounds like something is rubbing against each other

it even happens when i take a left exit.

its really bothering me

its not cv joints because i looked underneath and everything looks good. boots are fine. It runs fine on straight line. It only sounds when i am driving on a curve - an exit ramp for example

does it sound like metal grinding or something? Check your wheel bearings. If you grab the top of the tire and yank on it, you shouldn’t feel any movement (at least on the front; on the rear I think it’s normal for there to be a little bit of play).

Could you describe the sound? A “strange” sound doesn’t really help :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by N FUL FX
Could you describe the sound? A “strange” sound doesn’t really help :stuck_out_tongue:

I hear it when i take a right side exit and while i am on the ramp still turning and going at 30-35, but i dont hear it when i make a sharp turn after a stop light or while driving in the city, only while driving on curves, taking an exit for example - which means i only hear it while driving faster.

it sounds like something is rubbing against each other

it even happens when i take a left exit.

its really bothering me

its not cv joints because i looked underneath and everything looks good. boots are fine. It runs fine on straight line. It only sounds when i am driving on a curve - an exit ramp for example

its really bothering me, help

Today i lift the front side of the car to check whats wrong.

I dont know why i did this - but i turned the car on and put the gear in D.
When the wheels are straight - both tyres spin freely,
but when i turn the steering all the way to the right or left, the left tyre stops spinning, the right side tyre still spins no matter which side i turn.

is that normal?

(i didnt rev or anything, i just did this for less than a minute)

i do have bad shocks by the way.
But I don’t think the sound has anything to do with bad shocks, because shocks have been bad for some time now, and this wierd sound problem just started few days ago

:bawl:

is most probably the balljoint… i am having the same problem, i am trying to drive in a certain way and hopefully my balljoint will last a little longer, but is getting worst day by day now…

at stop lights, if you want to make a turn, just acclerate at straight line a little, then do not acclerate when turning. the tok tok tok sound should not produce… but you mentioned rubbing sound, are you sure?

oh i just see you got no sound when you making sharp turn… i don’t know then.

Originally posted by aerohit
[B]Today i lift the front side of the car to check whats wrong.

I dont know why i did this - but i turned the car on and put the gear in D.
When the wheels are straight - both tyres spin freely,
but when i turn the steering all the way to the right or left, the left tyre stops spinning, the right side tyre still spins no matter which side i turn.

is that normal?

(i didnt rev or anything, i just did this for less than a minute) [/B]

First off, don’t do that anymore. If the car comes down, then you’re in a shitload of trouble.

How do you know that the CV joints are fine? Unless you had uninstalled them, then you simply checked the CV boot. The actual joint could be damaged without damaging the boot. Just make sure you realize this before you explain to a mechanic that it’s not the CV joint when you don’t know that.

I would uninstall them and inspect them more thoroughly, and possibly take them to a mechanic to check for any obvious signs of breakage etc.

I see, i thought the only way cv joints can be damaged is when the cv boots are torn and exposed open for a long itme.

The reason i believe its not CV joints is because i dont hear any clicking sound, it sounds like something rubbing against each other and i hear it while driving on on curves- when i take an exit for example.

By the way when i lift the car, wheels play a lot before they catch up and lock. (thats when i hear click-click while moving the tyre back and forth) Could this be worn axle OR is it something inside the tranny that connects to the axle that is broken and causing this?

Any chance your sound is more like a squeaking noise when you turn?

Not a grinding, not a clicking, not metal on metal.

If it’s a squeaking, does the tone/pitch change depending on how far you turn the wheel? My brother’s 92 Accord did this and now my 92GS does it too.

Here’s my analysis for my car. Turning left or right makes the noise so I don’t associate it with one side of the car or the other. The pitch changes depending on the degree of steering. Even when my car is locked in the turn (steady state) the squeaking continues at the same tone. The sound isn’t consistent with engine speed. Last time I check the steering fluid was OK. Finally the problem is intermittent. Sometimes it squeaks, sometimes it doesn’t.

If it were in the bearings/ joints the squeaking would stop when the wheel was fully turned (as much as the road requires). So its not the bearings or ball joint. The CV joint makes a clicking sound so it’s not that. It could be the power steering pump belt, but the sound would be constant with engine speed. The pitch changes with the amount of steering so I’m guessing it’s tied with the steering system itself. Would a little air in the ps fluid make that sound when the pump is under the pressure of a turn? Can the are there seals in pinion piston that could leak, and cause that noise? If so, wouldn’t it leak out somewhere?

I need to get the manual out and see how the steering system works. Any thoughts would be welcomed. - Mike

you may be right about the PS.

My ignition coil went out few days. Fortunately it happened close to my house. I had my friend push the car back to my house.
During that time, i had to turn the steering many times while the car was off, the steering was very hard - because the car wasnt running - and this sound just started after i got the car back from the garage.
Now I am not sure if turning the steering like that caused something to get lose and make this sound.

As i turn even more the sound gets slightly louder while i am on the ramp taking an exit

Mine started sometime after I tagged a curb (wet road) with my left front wheel. It was bad enough that they had to pull her up on the rack and pull it out a little. The body shop guy warned me that the tugging could damage the rack and pinion, but the $$ to replace everything was more than I could do, so I’m not surprised to have a little trouble there.

can the axles go bad even if the boots are not torn?

It happened to my dad’s Chrysler Town and Country.

Usually, the boot will rip when the joint breaks, but if it had broken then you would not be driving at all. It could be damaged, though. I would keep thi son your list of possible causes.

this is the same noise i get when i take an exit ramp, its like a moaning noise- it happend when i got the car back from the shop from doing my clutch