throw out bearing

I couldn’t find a solution with my problem, my car would make a spinning metallic sound when under 2.5k and when I would push in the clutch, the sound would stop. So today my shop teacher took a look and figured it was that.
1.My question is, when it goes out, what will happen?
2.how un-driveable will it be?
4.how much is it to have a shop change to a new one?
5.will I be able to prolong the life of it with easy driving?
6. how much are they?
7. Is it an advanced job? 1-10 install?

Any input would help, thanks :up:

I’m in the same boat as you, from what I hear, not a really hard install, just nuts and bolts says the ol’ shop teacher here. The labor is the big deal, you have to drop the tranny…and depending on how much room there is will determine how much you have to take off in order to get at the assembly. I would suggest that if you are doing the bearing and your clutch is anywhere near needing to be replaced, spend the few extra bills and replace it all at once to save the hassle down the road. Let me know how it goes, i’m going to have to do it soon.

Yep, always replace your clutch, PP and throwout at the same time. Uneven wear time will cause you to take off your tranny more than you should. Dropping a transmission is quite a bit of work without past experiences and the right tools. Look it up in the Helms for further information. Good luck.

thederrickm :getsome:

What about the other questions???

1. Your clutch will kachunk and be useless.
  2. Completely
  3. You should learn to count :slight_smile:
  4. I would say its approx 4 billable hours to R&R a clutch assembly, so about 240-300+ parts.
  5. Yep, but considering the state its in - not much. Be safe and replace it.
  6. 10-20 bucks
  7. If 1 was an oil change and 10 was overhauling an auto tranny, I would say its a 7.

thederrickm :getsome:

Thank you, :up:

Your shop teacher is not a very good mechanic…

The release bearing (throwout bearing) is not your problem if it only grinds when your clutch is engaged. It is your input shaft bearing which is located inside your transmission. I have replaced a bunch of those now…

If it was your release bearing it would make that grinding sound only when you push the clutch in since that is the only time that the release bearing is being used.

Oh, and when an input bearing finally decides to go out on you it will take the whole tranny with it. In other words you would most likely need a whole new tranny.

Later,
BR

Since were on the topic, sorry for the whoring caliquick, I have the same noise, but when I release the clutch to engage 1st gear…this is a throwout/release bearing situation correct? :dead:

Originally posted by B R
[B]Your shop teacher is not a very good mechanic…

The release bearing (throwout bearing) is not your problem if it only grinds when your clutch is engaged. It is your input shaft bearing which is located inside your transmission. I have replaced a bunch of those now…

If it was your release bearing it would make that grinding sound only when you push the clutch in since that is the only time that the release bearing is being used.

Oh, and when an input bearing finally decides to go out on you it will take the whole tranny with it. In other words you would most likely need a whole new tranny.

Later,
BR [/B]
Thanks for clearing that up BR :up:

Originally posted by caliquick_teg
Thanks for clearing that up BR :up:
No problem. I would hate to see you tear your tranny off and replace the wrong bearing.

Later,
BR