Tiny drops of oil in coolant

So yesterday my upper radiator hose went out, just barly got to a store to buy another one lol, it was a slow leak but I almost ran out of coolant in the reserve when I got there…

Question is after I replaced it I look down in the neck of the rad, (after I filled it back up with antifreeze) and there are these little drops of black stuff, I suck them up out of the water with a paper towle and it looks like oil…I JUST flushed my coolant like a month ago, and they wernt there before I replaced this hose either, also the drops were black and I just changed my oil 3 days ago, so if it were a headgasket I would expect the oil to be clear…

Please someone tell me that this could be somthing besides a sign of a headgasket going…I saw no coolant in my oil 3 days ago when I changed it either, this motor only has about 100k on it :frowning: Hope I dont have to spend my spring break replacing a headgasket :mad:

could’ve warped the head and busted the headgasket if you overheated your car…

No way it overheated, my reserve didnt even run dry and I watched the temp gadge like a hawk, never got above the middle of the gadge…

any white smoke? if not, i bet you are fine. monitor it

Nope no white smoke, doesnt seem to be a loss of coolant either…

Man this is really starting to worry me :frowning: I will dedinatly keep an eye on it, ill update the thread with any changes in symtoms. Thanks everyone.

UPDATE:

Ok I did some tests out in my garage. I took some coolant and put it on a white surface, and added some oil to it from my crankcase, the oil sunk to the bottom of the coolant mixture, and dispirsed itself out vertically as much as it could, it also would join together with drops surrounding it very easily.

The mystery drops in my coolant form very small specks on top of the coolant in the radiator neck… They dont join together or spread themselfs out like the oil test I did, they also are small, unlike what the oil was doing in the coolant in my test. And its also floating, where the oil in my test sunk…

The only thing showing that it is oil it what it looks like when I soak it up with a paper towel, it is definatly liquid and appears to be oil, but since my tests show that oil sinks in coolant, I dont know what to think it is…

Any ideas?

Ok so I drained the coolant and took a look, I can still see the drops, but it still doesnt appear to be oil. My best guess is that adding redline water wetter cleaned some gunk from the system, since when I took out the block drain plug and reached my finger in there I pulled out a whole bunch of junk that actually looked like powdered aluminum, with some bigger chunks of aluminum, or it may have been calcuim, couldnt tell. But thats my guess as what it was, since it says on the bottle one thing it does it “cleans and lubricates water pump seal”.

So thanks for the help, but I think im safe :smiley: