Tranny Removal question

Please refer to picture:
Do I need to take out this bolt in order to take my transaxle off?
(yellow circle)

And if yes, How do I take off this rubber crap so I can take the bolt out? (red arrow)

If this is not the problem why can’t I take the transaxle off?
I’ve removed:
-4 bolts on top of the tranny, plus the top starter bolt
-side and bottom mount bolts
-two bolt thats off the bottom of the engine
-bolts for the mount next to the yellow circle in pic

Thanks.

The bolt is welded into that bracket but this isn’t even a concern. With two of those three bracket bolts removed the tranny should be able to disconnect. Or you can lift the motor out, if you are pulling it, and just get to it that way as well. My only suggestion would be to get a large hammer, seriously, and try hitting the tranny towards the passenger fender to “knock” it loose. A rubber mallet may work or try a regular hammer.

Hope this helps,

Mike

don’t forget to remove the flywheel inspection plate! Also the supports that go from the bottom of the block to the tranny.
Don’t hit your tranny case with a hammer!! After all the bolts, brackets and mounts are removed the tranny should come off very easily, just pull it twords the passanger side so that the imput shaft will pull out off the clutch plate.

Also

Dont forget the starter. Tranny won’t separate from the engine unless you take the starter off.

thanks guys

We pulled my buddy’s engine out and the tranny wasn’t able to come off without a little help from a hammer. We actually used a rubber mallet and that didn’t work. The engine was completely pulled at the time and that’s what we had to resort too. Hitting a 100lb metal casing with a small hammer isn’t going to damage anything.

Mike

CLUTCH REPLACEMENT

I’m trying to replace my clutch & my friend tells me the easist way is to pull just the motor ,change the clutch & put it back in .

My question is : Is it possible to pull just the motor out sliding it to the drivers side to clear the pressure plate ? I’m asking because it looks like I’ll have to take my compressor , altenator & drivers side motor mount completely off .

What’s the best way to do the engine pull on a b18a ?