trouble starting during the day

So, my 93 GS-R has always brought me joy… Until recently. Like, It starts in the morning, and in the evening too. But for some reason it has trouble starting during the day. I’ll admit this- it does get rather hot during the day where I live. The annoying part comes when I try to start it, and it just keeps on cranking. And if it does decide to fire up, it does so, but then bogs out and dies. Then i end up spending in excess of like thirty minutes trying to get it to start again. It’s very strange. I changed out the fuel filter about a year ago, did a full tune up too. The pump works, because I tested it just last night. It’s as if it has to be cool to start. Very strange to me. Somebody suggested vaporlock. I searched for the term, to try to see if there was a similar problem. I found a few threads, and one was like from '03. It didn’t give any solution to the problem, other than it might be my O2 sensor. Does anybody have any suggestions? Because at this rate, I’m going to lose my patience really quickly and end up driving the car into a brick wall. So, for the sake of the GS-R, please help me. Thanks again everyone.

Oh, the guy i bought the car off of swapped the ECU for a JDM Si-R ECU, so I can’t check to se if it’s throwing a code or not. Thanks guys.

Try your main relay first, sounds like that.

definitly the MFR…

put the key in the iginition and put it to pos II, watch the check engine light, when it goes off…listen for a click…if it does not click, you need to replace the Main Fuel Relay…under the drivers side kick panel…its like $60 from the dealer…

Of course you have to wait until it doesnt start again…if u test it when it normally starts…it will click…
hope this helps!

-Steve

Okay, so from your guys’ acvice, I was able to deduce that my Main Fuel Relay is going out. The weird part is as follows…

I turned the key over and waited for the check engine light to turn off, and when it did I heard the click of the MFR.

I then turned off the power to the car, and tried it again. The check engine light turned off, but I didn’t hear any click. But, the car did start.

Now, after that I drove the car around for a little while just to heat up the car to see what would happen. I got back to the house, turned the car off, and then tried it again. THIS time, I waited for the check engine light to turn off, but it didn’t. The doors locked, CD player turned off, and continued to wait. The light never turned off. So, I tried to start the car, but it just kept cranking.

So, the MFR is more than likely to blame. But I thought it strange that the car started aeven after the MFR didn’t click, but didn’t start when the check engine light didn’t turn off. So, do you have any idea as to why it would do this? And I apologize for writing Books just to explain. But again, thanks guys.

i think i’ve heard of that happening to someone before too. whether or not it sounds weird, u gotta change out ur mfr or bust out a soldering iron and redo it urself. once u prolly fix this lil issue ur distributor will prolly wanna start taking a dump on u… so kinda be prepared, the symptoms are similar for when they go bad.

okay. So, I finally got in gear about the Main Fuel Relay. I picked one up at the local car recycling yard. I switched it out, and much to my amazement, it had no effect at all. In fact, I put the original one back on and the car started right up. So, my assumption is the one I bought was worse off than the one I already had. So, it’s either try and try again with MFRs that i won’t be able to trust or dish out the loot and get a new one. Thanks for all the help guys. I <3 you all. Ha ha.

when mine was going out the way to get it to start when it was just cranking is to open the driver door crank it then bang on the side of the dash. Usually starts right up. If it does you know thats your problem.

I was having the exact same problem with my GS-R.
Now that the MFR has been replaced I’ve had zero issues.

yepppp that or the peice directly under the steering wheel. a few punches usually does the trick :up:

same thing

i have that same problem i think…when i turn the key u see the cluster light up and everything but the engine light doesnt alwayz go out when it does u hear the fuel pump prime but when it doesnt u dont hear it…now i checked for spark and theres none…but it starts sometimes when the light goes out so im gonna fix the (spark problem) and c where im at after…also my oil light stays on and when the engine light does…its a 91 GS with a 98 LS motor swap it was fine till last month when it started this

help me if u can guys thxx

Change the Main Fuel Relay.
They are common on these cars.

The only thing I was disappointed about was the Main Fuel Relay I got to replace mine was even worse off then mine was or is. Now… This is where the funny/ ghetto part comes into play. My bloodline is Mexican, I’ll admit it. So, it’s in my nature to try to figure out ridiculous ways of solving problems. This is one of them. The original Main Fuel Relay would work, but only if the car weren’t in the blazing sun all day… So, I just took the MFR off, and took it inside with me, where it’s cool. Problem solved. I take it off during the day and keep it cool. If the house is hot that day, I put it in the refrigerator and take it out when i leave. Yeah… I went there.

The really cool part about it is taking the MFR out whenever I am out of my car serves as a really funny anti-theft strategy. :ghetto:

thats jokes mannnnnn but is my problem the MFR

it is for sure the MFR dude i have the same problem on my gsr

Haha, that’s what I was doing and I ended up knocking something loose and now it’s rattling at 2500 RPMs :lol:

[QUOTE=tokezilla;1908147]The only thing I was disappointed about was the Main Fuel Relay I got to replace mine was even worse off then mine was or is. Now… This is where the funny/ ghetto part comes into play. My bloodline is Mexican, I’ll admit it. So, it’s in my nature to try to figure out ridiculous ways of solving problems. This is one of them. The original Main Fuel Relay would work, but only if the car weren’t in the blazing sun all day… So, I just took the MFR off, and took it inside with me, where it’s cool. Problem solved. I take it off during the day and keep it cool. If the house is hot that day, I put it in the refrigerator and take it out when i leave. Yeah… I went there.

The really cool part about it is taking the MFR out whenever I am out of my car serves as a really funny anti-theft strategy. :ghetto:[/QUOTE]

thats classic, but a great theft deterent never the less.

Sound like a MFR to me. Ive got one ill let go for $25 shipped to you. in know working condition.

That could work out man. I just think it’s funny that my method actually works. Of course, it does seem strange to people when I go to their house and ask if I can put it in their fridge… Some people just look at me sideways.

Spyder… I don’t know if the spark problem has to do with the MFR, but I can assure you that the MFR could be the problem. Especially since after I diagnosed the problem, i began to notice a lot of threads about the same thing. I just wasn’t searching for the correct criteria. And from what I understand, they are a frequent problem in these cars. Kind of sucks, but my Integra’s are worth the headache. God speed my friend.

I got similar problem on my 91 g2, car dosnt want to start, has spark, When ignition is turned to on position I do hear a click from the MFR and a slight hum from the pump, But when I took out the spark plugs I could not smell gas so I dont thing fuel is reaching the cylinders. Could all 4 of my injectors be cloged ? Can the MFR be bad even though it clicks on and off? need advice yall, THX

It has to click AND the CEL has to go off

Shoot me an email, well figure it out