valve clearence

sorry im new to all this…im not shure if this is the place to ask this…but i went over the the teg tips and it told me how to check all the valve clearences for the pistons…Question is, im replacing my b18a head for a b20 head…what i want to know is does my head have to be on the car to check all these thing or can i guage them while it off and then put it on my car…

when you checked the valve clearance, that was for the cam to rocker clearance slop. That is totally differant than the piston/valve clearance. You can check the valve slop while the head is off the car as long as the valvetrain is fully assembled. To check the piston to valve clearance, you use a method called claying. To clay a motor, you basically tace clay, lay it ontop of the piston, bolt down the head, and manually run the motor though a 360*. You could go 720* but there really makes no difference because you’ll see a problem somewhere along the first 360 if there is any. You than take the head off the block and slice the clay in half right through the deepest valve indent, and see how close it came to the piston. Et voila. Hope that helped