Why is 50/50 weight distribution the best?

Originally posted by ryank
[B]No.

If there’s not enough weight on the rear end, the rear tires lose grip. When they lose grip, you oversteer. Oversteering (as well as understeering) do not lead to good handling.

(Neither does spinning out and off the track) [/B]

Most cars w/ a heavier rear (ie porsches and ferraris) are much more prone to oversteer then a car w/ a lighter rear end (ie our integras). :confused:

Leif

Originally posted by leifintegra
[B]Most cars w/ a heavier rear (ie porsches and ferraris) are much more prone to oversteer then a car w/ a lighter rear end (ie our integras). :confused:

Leif [/B]

that is because of the rear slip angle. When you get on the gas in a RWD car, the slip angle on the rear tires becomes larger than the fronts and you get oversteer. Plus those cars you mentioned are sports cars and their suspension is probably set up more aggressively than ours are stock (after all, they are commuter cars). HTH.

Ben

Originally posted by DB2-R81
Lower polar inertia, uneven weight leads to instability once it begins to rotate!

like RR porches, right? Once they start spinning there is no turning back.

ben

[B]Most cars w/ a heavier rear (ie porsches and ferraris) are much more prone to oversteer then a car w/ a lighter rear end (ie our integras). :confused:

Leif [/B]

Originally posted by Ben Ogle
that is because of the rear slip angle. When you get on the gas in a RWD car, the slip angle on the rear tires becomes larger than the fronts and you get oversteer. Plus those cars you mentioned are sports cars and their suspension is probably set up more aggressively than ours are stock (after all, they are commuter cars). HTH.

Leif was on the same idea as I was when I posted(several months ago, where do these threads keep coming from?) Yes, rear slip angle affects oversteer, but that is a separate concept. Throttle on oversteer will affect almost any rear wheel drive car with respectable power. The concept I was referring to was the momentum of different parts of the car due to weight distribution. That is the reason, as I stated before, that the old 911’s are prone to corner-entry oversteer, since there is so much momentum in the rear.

try to put any bottle Can or whatever depending on your drop under the left and right rear fenders and you will see the difference.
www.geocities.com/aerohit1/g2ic1.jpg

i put a spray can
it fits on the right side fine but doesnt fits on the left side.

Originally posted by aerohit
[B]try to put any bottle Can or whatever depending on your drop under the left and right rear fenders and you will see the difference.
Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

i put a spray can
it fits on the right side fine but doesnt fits on the left side. [/B]

Huh? :shrug:

Ben

Originally posted by GSR01
Leif was on the same idea as I was when I posted(several months ago, where do these threads keep coming from?) Yes, rear slip angle affects oversteer, but that is a separate concept. Throttle on oversteer will affect almost any rear wheel drive car with respectable power. The concept I was referring to was the momentum of different parts of the car due to weight distribution. That is the reason, as I stated before, that the old 911’s are prone to corner-entry oversteer, since there is so much momentum in the rear.

I understand these concepts. I was simply replying to Ryan’s post (who is a very knowledgeable guy) where his theory and explaination contradicted yours and Ben’s.

Leif

[B]I understand these concepts. I was simply replying to Ryan’s post (who is a very knowledgeable guy) where his theory and explaination contradicted yours and Ben’s.

Leif [/B]

I wouldn’t say his theory contradicted Ben and mine. Both are true depending on various circumstances such as road conditions, spring rates, suspension geometry etc…