1990 Integra LS 5sp question

Good day,

I am about to take delivery of a 1990 Teg LS 5sp which some of you all know about from a posting I did last week <a href=“http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40642”>1990 Intega LS</a> .

The car apearently has problems shifting in gear when first starting, and also will slip out of 5th gear. I have more information about this since my last posting since taking the car for a test drive.

When I arrived at my co-workers house, he was outside at the car and had the car running. I would estimate it was running for 5-10 minutes before I got there. When I got behind the wheel, he asked me to try to shift it into gear so I can see what problem he is talking about, and it shifted effortlessly into first gear, during the test drive, I had no problem shifting the gears, I was unable to test 5th gear during the test drive because, honestly, I was on cloud 9 behind the wheel of this car and forgot to shift the car into 5th, plus I was on roads where I was limited on the speed I could go.

On the recommendation of “The Oz” I am going to have the transmission oil changed. When I do have it changed, should I put a transmission additive in it, or are these products not really worth it?

If, in the event I need to get the transmission fixed/replaced. I was wondering if there were other members in the Northern VA area, who either fix/replace the transmission for me at a reasonable price, or know of a place in the area that the recommend me take the car to to have it fixed, should I go to a place like Aamco, or Cottman Transmission, or stay away from places like this.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

congrats on your car! let me refrase if what u were trying to say is u r going to change the GEAR LUBE! in your tranny. not “transmission oil”. I’m just helping u out and u do not I repeat U change the gear lube in the tranny. if ur thinking of fixing the tranny cool just make sure that when they finish fixing the tranny to change the gear lube, and not to use the same one. because the old gear lube is old n burned out. if ur going to buy a new(used) tranny cool. and by the way do not throw away the ‘OLD TRANNY’ away. b-cuz if one of the gears goes out of new(used) tranny u have ur self an “extra” set of gears.

Originally posted by Omega one
congrats on your car! let me refrase if what u were trying to say is u r going to change the GEAR LUBE! in your tranny. not “transmission oil”. I’m just helping u out and u do not I repeat U change the gear lube in the tranny.

Sorry for the confustion, I meant transmission fluid, it was early in the morning for me and I was not thinking straight.

Thanks for your tips abou changing gear grease if I do get my transmission fixe/replaced.

Re: 1990 Integra LS 5sp question

Originally posted by JTalbert
When I do have it changed, should I put a transmission additive in it, or are these products not really worth it?

I would just use Honda Manual Transmission Lubricant. See if that fixes your shifting problem before putting $$ into an additive. No additive will cure a mechanical problem.