1990 LS - New Member - Toronto Canada

Hi everyone, I’m relatively new to 2nd gen ownership as I only started my project in 2019 - long after the peak of the forum days, but I did find great threads throughout my time building up my car.

I picked up a 1990 LS YR89/honey beige metallic, and it was my was/is my first actual introduction into working on older Hondas. It’d already been manual swapped with an LS YS1, although I did eventually find out it still had the automatic ECU which held rpms up to maybe 6500rpm. Anyways, I didn’t really have any clear direction which way I wanted to go with the car and just abused it at the track and on backroads with the B18A1 for the first while. Gutted the interior…really made a mess of the car until I realized how difficult it was to find the OE parts for these things. So as of late, I’ve swapped the motor/trans and been working on piecing it back together so I can enjoy an ACTUAL 2nd gen Integra as a whole, both on the street and at the track. Below is a quick run down of some of the things that have been done, it’s pretty run off the mill:

Motor/trans:
-Stock B18C5 long block, bought with unknown mileage out of a wreck with a cracked post mount, had to get it helicoiled, honed out and rebuilt to OE spec with rings, bearings, stock valve job. Stock ITR injectors/intake manifold/tb.
-My motor mounts are kind of mickey-moused together being an automatic chassis, rear and driver mounts are Hasport 68A and the trans is an old auto/manual Innovative. Would love if Hasport made a nice billet auto-manual cable mount.
-B16 Y1 LSD trans, luckily enough a friend was willing to sell me his old small spline he never used. This shares the 4.26 final drive as an LS trans, so I still feel like my gears are on the long side.
-Innovative linkages, ACT 12lb flywheel and a stage 1 Exedy
-Misc bolt ons: PLM Toda replica header, HKS catback, GESI hi-flo cat, Hondata s300
-Dyno’d at 184whp/130wtq

Suspension/brakes:
-Tein FlexZ 10/7k F/R with eg forks/K-Tuned camber/toe kits & traction bar, no name 22mm sway bar
-I had the mini cooper BBK setup for a while and ITR calipers, but now I’ve since swapped to a set of old Spoon twin blocks with the same rotor size. Pads are just Hawk HPS and I used braided Stoptech lines.

Interior:
-Momo Montecarlo wheel on a boss hub
-JDM XSI rear seat
-Being a Canadian car I have reason to believe the floor is actually different because we do not have automatic seatbelts. Someone donated me a Sparco 600 series USDM seat bracket and only 3/4 holes lines up. I had to order a RHD, passenger side (ie. our driver side) seat rail from bride to mount an old Bride Brix 1 seat I had.
-Phase 2 floor mats, thank god these are back in stock

Exterior is stock, wheels are 15x6.5 +20mm Volk TE37s (2000) with 205/50/R15 Falken Azenis R615K+. I had a beat up set of JDM lights with PWD harness but sold them both for USDM, I like amber I guess.

That’s all really, the DA scene up here in Toronto is a bit quiet (with this much salt and snow go figure) but there are a core few guys who still bring their car out now and then. I hope to continue learning about these and try to contribute as best I can!!

3 Likes

Solid set up

1 Like

Awesome stuff!

1 Like

Thanks! yes it is definitely a strange transmission. I suppose it is a reasonable compromise for highway cruising but I end up bogging first and 2nd a lot I am uncareful haha. Please keep me updated if the 4.4 from the YS1 works as that would be an awesome upgrade! So far the teins are quite good, I had to stiffen the dampening to prevent the bulky k tuned camber kit from bottoming out on the shock tower. Need to go visit my family back in Winnipeg soon! (once it’s warmer :grin:)

I’m waiting on a synchro kit and a diff before i begin the rebuild, but i have a spare y1 countershaft as well as the ys1 gsr countershaft sitting around and they appear identical save for a slightly slimmer tooth profile on the gsr countershaft. Both are 15 teeth. The difference in gearing comes from the y1 ring gear having 64 teeth and the gsr ring gear having 66. Thing is though that they have a different bolt circle. I’m having to switch to the gsr final drive because my factory lsd is cooked and cant reuse the y1 ring gear on any other b series diff. It should be an interesting rebuild - my first as well. I’m planning on taking a video and some photos of the process since there isn’t much for information on the y1 tranny online. Keep an eye out for a thread in the coming month. Shoot me a DM if you end up coming to town. I’m not aware of any other DA guys in winnipeg, it would be cool to grab a coffee and talk shop lol

1 Like

That’d be greatly appreciated! I did some preliminary research on the teeth count when considering swapping the guts out of the spare YS1 I had, but had so many ITR gear sets fall through I just gave up and sold everything. I purchased a spare 4.26 LSD for the Y1 by accident assuming it was a 66 tooth unit…if you can get the Y1 to work a little better it’d be so mint. There’s a guy on instagram I chat with regularly @randumgarage who has a b20v 4 door from Winnipeg I believe.

1 Like

Wow! Guy has got some nice DA’s. I’m surprised I haven’t seen them around town. I have heard that there are some 4.40 Y1 trannies but given that the ring is weird on the limited slip version the 4.4 might only be on the ones optioned without the LSD. I wont count on that being clarified any time soon tho lol

2 Likes