1992 GS-R Project - "The Ugly One"

[QUOTE=jdi;2044596]I haven’t posted in a long time, but I’m back. I had a second race weekend 2 weeks ago. A video of some race highlights can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbw3ey6lcjQ

The Good:

• I had 2 fun races, starting 3rd and finishing 2nd in one and starting dead last and moving up 7 or so places in the other.

The Bad:

• My igniter coil was on the way out, giving me a bad misfire and costing me some power.
  • The car was too loud on Saturday so we had to add a second muffler for Sunday.
  • I got a video camera to record the races, but it didn’t record for the race where I started at the back and passed a bunch of cars.

The Ugly:

• I noticed hairline cracks starting to form on all 8 of my wheels, one of which was cracked right through. Expensive, but at least they didn’t break while I was out on the track![/QUOTE]

im gonna watch this video over, and over, and over today. LOL

its getting me really pumped up for my first auto cross session comming up here in the middle of august:manual:

BTW very nice work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy-rzVLGvtw&feature=related

Next race is coming up in less than 3 weeks!

My dad has the engine back together and it’s running again :). While the engine was apart we decided to install:

• MFactory 4.9 final drive.
  • 19mm rear anti-roll bar.
  • Moroso road race oil pan.
  • Oil pressure gauge.

I’m hoping that with the final drive and the anti-roll bar that I’ll be able to knock at least half a second off my best lap time, maybe a full second if everything works just right.

I also got an ECU chipped with a Hondata S300, but I’m not sure if I’ll have it ready in time for the next race. The USB connection from the ECU is not working so I can’t load a base map. I suspect that the guy who chipped the ECU missed something during the install, but haven’t had time yet to troubleshoot the problem.

Can’t wait to be back on the track :rockon:.

I just wanted to tell you that reading this thread has put a huge smile on my face! What you started with and now have is amazing!!! Good luck!!!

Hondata works! The guy who put the daughterboard in had the pins off by one row. Fixed that and it worked perfectly!

Anybody have experience with the “stock” P61 basemap on the S300? It’s showing the rev limit at 8484 rpm, which seems to me to be a few hundred rpm higher than where it was hitting when I had the original ECU in it.

great work man, really making me want to turn my DA into a full track car

[QUOTE=jdi;2061815]Hondata works! The guy who put the daughterboard in had the pins off by one row. Fixed that and it worked perfectly!

Anybody have experience with the “stock” P61 basemap on the S300? It’s showing the rev limit at 8484 rpm, which seems to me to be a few hundred rpm higher than where it was hitting when I had the original ECU in it.[/QUOTE]

Are you basing that off the tach? keep in mind the stock tach will be off a few hundred RPMS when compared to a digital readout (smanager)

I’m basing what I thought the old rev limiter was off of the tach. Limiter would kick in just after 8, maybe 8100-8200 indicated. After switching to the Hondata P61 “stock” map, rev limiter hits at ~8500 indicated, 8484 according to SManager.

Not sure how switching the ECU would change what the tach shows :shrug:

In SM Manager under the “Parameters” heading look for a tab called “Rev Limits” set your overall engine rev limiter there and the type of Rev Limit: “Fuel” or “Fuel and Ignition” you wish to use. The Hondata P61 base map is set at 8484. You are correct the stock Acura P61 ECU trips the rev limiter about 8200 - 8250.

[QUOTE=jdi;2061898]I’m basing what I thought the old rev limiter was off of the tach. Limiter would kick in just after 8, maybe 8100-8200 indicated. After switching to the Hondata P61 “stock” map, rev limiter hits at ~8500 indicated, 8484 according to SManager.

Not sure how switching the ECU would change what the tach shows :shrug:[/QUOTE]

I never said or implied the ECU would change the tach or what it shows. I was merely saying the tachs are mechanically off.

Thanks for the info, Marc. I did see the rev limit there and was surprised to see it was so high. I assumed the Hondata settings would be identical to stock for a “stock” baseline map. Makes me wonder what else is different…

4sd4dr, I was just pointing out that even if the tach is off, changing the ECU shouldn’t change how much it was off. So if it showed ~8200 at the limit before the change and ~8500 after, it’s likely that the limit has changed, even if we can’t tell the exact numbers from the tach. That’s what has me wondering just how “stock” this map is.

It is not really a copy of the stock Acura P61 settings, fuel and timing maps it is a “base map” only to get you initial start up and travel a very short distance to a tuner safely.

Best advice I can provide you if you going to do your own tuning: take your time go through each setting and parameter get and understanding what they do and begin by learning how to set you idle AFR.

Here is my current display, if you want the file let me know.

Well, last weekend was EPIC FAIL.

I destroyed the brand new clutch that we put in for this weekend on Saturday afternoon. We replaced it that night, and I got one race in on Sunday, and broke either the clutch or transmission…

Now the car is really hard to get into gear, and if it’s moving and I put the clutch in, it will quickly stop, like something is bound up inside the transmission. This will make it 3 times we’ve had the transmission out of the car in a month. I knew that this car would have some bugs to shake out, but I didn’t expect that I would finish only one out of four race weekends with the car not broken somehow.

Anyway, here are the highlights of the one race that I did manage to do:

//youtu.be/JJLCGSg--jI

I love you videos man, that civic just would give up:giggle:

Im getting ready to tune my car with smanager(s300) pretty soon here, got anymore advice beside that in you second to last post. Ive been playing around with the smanager program for a couple months before I even got my s300 and have become very familar with it and where, what and how setting are changed, but anything you got would be greatly appreciated. BTW the display you made is awsome, thats the one thing I still have no clue how to modify, of course I havent realy messed around with it much either:angel:

Subscribing in anticipation of more race videos:rockon:

Anybody in the Vancouver, Canada area should come out to the Mission racetrack this weekend.

It’s the annual Children’s Charities Grand Prix, which means that from 12:00-1:00 this Saturday and Sunday you can buy yourself a ride in an exotic car on the track! For as little as $20, you’ll get 2 laps with an experienced driver behind the wheel. All proceeds go to the BC Children’s Hospital and Children’s Wish Foundation. Last year’s cars included:

Porsche Carrera GT
Lamborghini Murcielago
Ford GT
Porsche 911
Corvette Z06
Dodge Viper
Nissan GT-R
BMW M3 (E96)

Rides are auctioned off starting Saturday morning, so show up early to get the best choices for the car you ride in.

This year we are planning on bringing a Viper and an NSX. I don’t know what other cars will be there, but it sounds like the organizers are trying to top last year, so expect some very impressive machinery to make an appearance!

There also will be two “Honda Challenge” races, one on Saturday evening and one on Sunday right after lunch. There should be one or two S2000s, some Integra Type-Rs, a few G2 Integras (including myself) and a load of CRXs and Civics competing.

Finally, there will be the Children’s Charities Grand Prix on Sunday afternoon. It will feature some of the fastest race cars in BC and the Pacific Northwest, and is the event of the year at Mission Raceway!

Updated list of some cars that will be there:

Acura NSX
Porsche Carrera GT
Ford GT
Ferrari 430
Porsche 911 Turbo
BMW 335i
Corvette Z06
Dodge Viper

If you’re in the area, don’t miss this chance!

[QUOTE=DB2-R81;2061934]

Here is my current display, if you want the file let me know.

[/QUOTE]

hook up the file bro!

spyder_099@hotmail.com

i just got to witness the restoration of a crazy rare da from ashy to autoX…
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

bump for f****n sick thread

DA_all_day, I’ve never done autocross in my life :). Just road racing, but I’ve thought of trying autox to keep me sharp in the off season.

My dad got the transmission out of the car today and took it apart. Looks like there was damage to some of the bearings, and apparently the 5th gear synchro was damaged to the point that it was always trying to spin the transmission down to the rpm needed to shift into 5th…

This explains why the car was behaving the way it was, basically jerking to a stop every time I put the clutch in. It also explains why the car would seem to be down on power after the first few laps of the race - as the transmission got up to temperature, the friction got worse.

On the upside, we bought a spare transmission back when we got our spare engine, so I should still be able to race this weekend. Hopefully with the gearbox working right I’ll be able to improve my laptimes.

sorry for getting it confused.

but sweet build anyway.

and i watched your videos… it seems like you race pretty good and can hold your own on the track. in a few of the videos i seen the bmw almost loose it a few times and the crx spin out. nice job avoiding by the way…

i can only imagine what kind of stress goes on the motor from constant full throttle to hard braking to full throttle again…

about how often do you need to change parts for anything?