5th gear slipping

when I was on the highway the other day My fifth gear went back into nuetral automatically, so I put it back into fifth then a few minutes later it did it again and this repeated itself. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong with my car?
It is a 1990 GS Teg

Did you try holding on to the 5th gear while riding? I’m going to have mine checked out hopefully tomorrow. I’ll let you know.

Regards,

Oz

P.S. I’m using a Short Shifter which can easily pop out at times.

I’m having the same problem. I heard it could be that you need MTF, change it or put some more. Or it could be shifter forks, or sychro hubs or some gear ring or something inside the transmission. I don’t know the internals of a tranny, but this is what I’ve found in my searches.

Peez

This is a sign of low gearbox oil and or bad synchromesh. Check the oil level immediately. DO NOT hold it in gear as this will damage the synchros further. Hopefully, you can get away with just topping off the oil.

Update as of September 4, 2002. Took the car in to a reputable mechanic. He showed me that there is NO OIL LEFT in my B16 tranny. He topped it off with 2L I think (I wasn’t watching at the time). Cost me a measly $15CDN for the whole thing (oil and labour). I’m sure he’s going to rape me on prices later coz’ I got some other problems, but for now the price is good.

Anyway, took it on a high speed limit zone (80km/h - 50mph) street. Before, the gear would pop out because it’s a fairly bumpy road. Now, after the work, it doesn’t do it anymore. Then again, I’ve only gone through the street once. Later tonight, I’ll take her through her paces and actually go on the freeway.

I’ll keep you guys posted.

Regards,

Oz

It’ll work fine. I had the same problem. Added the oil and it runs like a champ.

i grind in reverse, whats my prob :slight_smile: people always like “if u cant find em grind em!” but its just… it grinds :confused:

Originally posted by Drakos
i grind in reverse, whats my prob :slight_smile: people always like “if u cant find em grind em!” but its just… it grinds :confused:

Your idle maybe too high. Since my idle is fudged for the time being, I always shift to 2nd and then to reverse.

Regards,

Oz

idles at 250-400

bushings possibly?

Update as of September 5, 2002. After having one of the lower balljoints replaced (yes, the mechanic did rape me on the price for this one), I took “Elvira” (yes, that’s the name I’m thinking of using :wink: ) for a highway run. Ran 100km/h 60mph on 5th gear with no slipping. Also drove 50mph on bumpy roads again on 5th gear, with no problems. I’m lucky I guess. I must hand it to Honda, they built a good tranny.

Drakos -> Try shifting to 2nd and then to reverse, and see if you’re still grinding.

Regards,

Oz