90-91 AND 92-93 Motor mounts? whats the difference?

Ok, if the B18A1 came in all four years, why does JC Whitney offer motor mount inserts for 90-91 and then for the 92-93? What is the difference if its the same engine?

Then, which kit do I need for a 92 B17A1 in a 1991 Teg?

-Steve

Interesting. Now Im curious myself.

TTT

And, the 92-93 kit is $10 more!!! What the heck?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=157650&BQ=jcw2&_requestid=77202

BTW, KFC is not the thing to eat when you’re doing some typing.

-Steve

Steve~
Is the 92-93 kit for the b17 GSR??? just my .02

The inside voids of the motor mounts are different, There were two different types manufactured. If you get the Energy suspension kit it comes with both styles and they are only $ 21.99 including shipping from Summit. I will never buy from JC Whitney again their prices are the same as everyone else, but then they screw you when it comes to shipping and handeling charges. They calculate the shipping charges by the total sale amount. So the more you spend the more they charge you. Summit has a flat rate charge of $6.95 for handeling per order. The last time I ordered from JC Whitney they charged me $21.50 for shipping and handeling for a 2 lb. UPS ground shipped box. I looked up the rates in the UPS book at work and it only cost $3.42 for shipping. I guess I paid $ 18.08 for a cardboard box.
Sorry I had to vent.

to further give a well deserved bashing to JC Whitney…

i ordered a new cap and rotor from CarParts.com a few months ago, which come to find out is now totally JC Whitney, and it says “ships within 3-5 days.” well 4 days pass and i hop online to try and track my order, no more online tracking at all! not even info on if it shipped or anything. so i call, and i go thru 3 different people before anyone can help me. come to find out it had to be ordered directly from the factory, and would take between 4 and 6 weeks to ship. so i tell them to cancel the order, and guess what arrives at my door 2 days later… a cap and rotor from JC Whitney. Does this give you any impression of how well this company is run?

also, while on the phone i asked about NGK plugs, and they didn’t know a thing about them and tried telling me they didn’t carry them. meanwhile i’m looking at ngk plugs on the carparts.com website. now it seems to me that if i call the support number on the carparts website, i should get someone that knows what carparts carries and can help me with it. but no, jc whitney now handles everything for carparts, and jc whitney doesn’t carry ngk, though carparts does. so i could order them if i knew what i wanted, but they coudln’t tell me what i need.

moral of the story: never use jc whitney ever again!

as to the motor mount inserts. i got mine from summit as well as brad (GSrRing92) and we both love them. so i’d just go with the ES pieces from summit. the only odd thing is mine were black while his were red. guess they ran out of red dye when they were making mine, go figure.

habitforming: so you guys like the ES motor mounts? i’ve heard they make the car vibrate too much. Didn’t someone here install them and then take them out cause it was too much vibration?

i’d really like to know, cause they might go on my list of parts for my swap.

tia

Well, here is what Dan emailed me:

The mounts are slightly different. But I believe they bolt up the same. I’ve never personally tried to put 90-91 mounts in my car, but I KNOW the mounting locations and bolts/etc. are the same. You can use your 90-91 mounts or the 92-93. It doesn’t matter.

Dan

And thanks for letting me know about JC Whitney before I bought from them. I have learned from your suffering, so it wasn’t in vain.

-Steve

you’re car is 90-91 so u will be getting the 90-91 mountkit. but i believe the only difference is the rear mount, which is why energy includes 2 different inserts for that mount.

91IntegGS: i bought the motor mount inserts understanding and accepting that they would cause more vibration. if they didn’t then they wouldn’t be doing their job. on the other hand, i don’t consider the vibration excessive but it is there. i also drive a car with urethane suspension, lowered, tokico struts, sway bars, and strut tower brace, so i was already used to a somewhat rough ride. it is not in any means intolerable however. i’ve taken a few girls out in it that were adverse to speed and they never said anything about the car being uncomfortable, that is how i assume it’s not a bad ride :). if the other motor mount kits are softer then they might cause less vibration, but they’re also less effective.
HTH

Originally posted by Habitforming
i’ve taken a few girls out in it that were adverse to speed and they never said anything about the car being uncomfortable, that is how i assume it’s not a bad ride :).

Would these be the same girls that would wait for their Oil Light to get BRIGHTER before they really thought something was wrong…or do they know enough about cars to tell if its vibrating too much?

-Steve:D

Would these be the same girls that would wait for their Oil Light to get BRIGHTER before they really thought something was wrong…or do they know enough about cars to tell if its vibrating too much?

haha! actually they are probably the type that woudl wait for it to get brighter, but they’re also the ones that wouldn’t udnerstand what i have done to my car and thus i would expect to be the first to complain about it being a rough ride compared to their neon, cavalier, probe, and all those other girly cars:D

Ahhhhhhh…this is true.