Advancing Timing??

I want to advance my timing but I was told I shouldn’t cause my engine is too old. It currently has 333,000 kms on it.

Opinions?? or Inputs??

sorry to be a little off topic, but does your teg still runs like new at 333,000 KMs? mines at 195,000 and running great! just wanna know if i’ll be able to keep her till 300,000 KMs!! :smiley:

to be on-topic, I don’t think the 333,000 KMs bothers… i’ll probably advance my timing soon…

thanks!

I’ve got 183000+ miles and I’ve got the timing advanced “really far”(technical term by the way).

Is your suspension still stock? Mine is and it’s nearly shot.

I have one quick question… to acturally make the advacning timeing thing work… do you have to jump the service conector??

When i did mine i just turn the distributor and did not bother with the jumper… I did not notice ne diff

However I did the same thign on my friends car and his engine seems to be alot smoother…

Any ideas?

Yes the engine still runs to redline an all. But it doesn’t have the high end power it should. and it puffs alittle oil, which I don’t think is too big of a problem, it did pass emissions.

I believe there are some new parts, but I’m lowering the car in the spring. Hopefully I can get new struts next year too.

and I believe you’re suppose to jump the service connector.

I probably won’t advance my timing for awhile yet, just getting opinions.

What compression?

What engine do you have? or
What pistons are you running?

Advance timing will definately make more power, and might give you more miles/gallon. I recommend *Premium Unleaded fuel (91 or more octane) w/ 18deg timing. Our cars are designed to run on Regular Unleaded at the stock timing (16deg BTDC). Using Premium unleaded with stock timing …would be a waste.
You can dish out more power and mileage with the Premium unleaded by turning the timing up (18deg BTDC). This is safe, and it is also within the specifications of our engine.

The whole point of advancing the timing… is to get more “Dynamic Compression” from the engine. More dynamic compression produces more power. Dynamic Compression can be increased through engine modifications such as higher & longer duration camshafts (valvetrain), higher Static compression pistons, Milling (shaving) the Cylinder Head …etc. , but Advance Timing is the cheapest, and has been for years …a way of increasing dynamic compression.

Our stock engine’s pistons already have low static compression pistons, we can advance more than others who have high compression pistons.

I have over 187,000 miles on my engine now. I learned to advance my timing whenever it had somewhere in between 120,000 & 130,000 miles. It still runs great.
Yours has 330,000 km which is equivalent to 206,922 miles! I would think it will be safe to run 93 octane w/ 2 degrees more of timing. You will definately feel it.

if you emailed me, sorry I had to post again…

lodoss,

i have the same question about the service connector. i’ve already adjusted my timing and it seemed not to make a difference with or w/o the jumper. also when i put my light on the crankpulley it kept moving back and forth with the engine rpm (position of the lighting moving that is) what rpm is timing set at?

john

idle speed is 750 +or- 50 rpm in neutral.

snakeeye i think when using the tming gun you gotta let your car warm up really good and so that it will stay around the same rpm range

hey lodoss did you notice any diffrence in swappin heads from a 91 to a 99? Hp increase? torque?

unforutanly i only did the head and not the intake manifold. The reason because of that is i got a crappy automatic and it has a stupid EGR and the intake manifold won’t fit…
If you are intrested let me know i’lll sell it to u

Anyways. I also put in the wrong engine oil … 10-40 which is prob robbing some hp…

Low end it’s about the same but once it hits third gear <in autoamtic> around 4k rpm it pulls alot harder

how much lodoss?

does it come with springs retaners and valves?

john

Re: What compression?

Originally posted by Romanz
[B]What engine do you have? or
What pistons are you running?

Advance timing will definately make more power, and might give you more miles/gallon…

The whole point of advancing the timing… is to get more “Dynamic Compression” from the engine. More dynamic compression produces more power. Dynamic Compression can be increased through engine modifications such as higher & longer duration camshafts (valvetrain), higher Static compression pistons, Milling (shaving) the Cylinder Head …etc. , but Advance Timing is the cheapest, and has been for years …a way of increasing dynamic compression.

[/B]

Not quite. Your confusing valve timing with ignition timing. Ignition timing refers to the time the spark is generated relative to TDC and has no effect on the dynamic compression ratio. Valve or cam timing is the opening and closing of valves which directly affects compression. Ignition timing changes are at the distributer and cam timing is changed with cam gears.

They are related in that distributer is connected to the intake cam and, consequently, changing the intake cam timing will affect the ignition timing at 50% of cam advance or retard.

Gains from ignition advance occur because there is a short length of time between when the spark occurs and when the burning air/fuel mixture begins exherting pressure on the piston. Ideally we want to exhert pressure on the piston at TDC which is why ignition timing is measured in degrees of advance before TDC. The stock setting at 16 degrees has some leeway which is why you can see gains by advancing further. Go to far, however, and you risk pushing on the piston while it is still moving up on it’s compression stroke. That’s bad.

tom