Already replaced starter, but car still won't start - HELP

If it is the black relay with a brown bottom it is the main relay for the fuel pump.

Yes, and IDK if it’s just the incidents I came across but both my 90 Accord at the time, and my 90 Teg would do this. Could’ve been how it wore internally? But on occasion I would finally get the “click” from the relay and could start my car.

Yeah, so like I said I took the GSR to a shop I trust (back in January) and the agreed it was the starter relay and replaced it and all was well.

Until last week - car is back to its old tricks and won’t start. Just like before.

So now I’m thinking either a faulty starter relay was installed (and it already failed) or the ignition switch decided it was it’s turn to die on me.

Anyone have a link to a DIY ignition switch install?

I dont have a write up on this but its pretty straight forward. Once you take some plastics off you can see where everything is. It is attached to the back of the lock cylinder, white round plastic held in by small screw. Harness has 2 plugs between steering column and fuse box area.

Okay thanks!

Is removal of the steering wheel necessary? When I started this thread (for the starting issue before) I couldn’t get the steering column covers to come off without removing the wheel, which I didn’t do b/c I was able to test the ignition switch without removing the cover.

The manual says you need to remove the steering wheel and then the column covers and the knee bolster. Shoot me an email and I can get you some instructions.

I’m at a total loss. I replaced the ignition switch and the car still won’t start.

To recap, my car works fine if you roll start it. And the following items have been replaced within the last 4 months:

-starter
-starter relay
-ignition switch

WTF could be preventing my car from starting?!?!?:mad:

Alright, turns out it’s the clutch switch. Was fine months ago, but apparently failed now. And it’s the more difficult of the two to reach.

Just going to bypass it for now - doesn’t seem worth the headache.

Hey there I am having very similar issues with my 92 GSR. I just replaced the starter relay, already had starter tested and battery but still no turn over. I have read up on a lot of forums about testing the ignition switch and the main relay but have not seen much on the clutch switch. How did you find out yours was bad?

[QUOTE=DawsonB17A;2334027]Alright, turns out it’s the clutch switch. Was fine months ago, but apparently failed now. And it’s the more difficult of the two to reach.

[/QUOTE]

My car stranded itself in a parking lot last week, but I was able to push start and get home to the garage and begin troubleshooting. Sure enough, after finding this thread, I identified my issue as the clutch switch plastic disc thing. Upper of the two was split in half due to old age and heat, and fell out in pieces into my hand during inspection. Just to be sure, I folded a piece of duct tape and crammed it up in there, and she started right up!

New one on order, I should be rolling again by Monday! Thanks to Colin, DawsonB17A, and all who contribute to threads like this… lifesaver.

I guess I will have to settle for “all who contribute” on this one… Lol! I keep those in my tool box all the time. I just replaced the two on my clutch pedal a few weeks ago!

Of course! You are OG, and I think we actually met in person once… Neil’s meet near Daytona about 10 years ago? Anyway, that little plastic disc was a @#$%^&* to install yesterday! Reaching up under there laying on my back, small clamp holding it, finally pressing it in with my thumb… all good now, but there has to be an easier way.

Impressive. Looks super tough to access.

Again, thanks to all who helped me in this thread. She’s been running fine ever since (knock on wood!) :rofl: