alternator belt slipping.:-(

My damn alternator belt keeps slipping. First I snapped my driverside axle and some how busted off the lower mounting bolt that holds the alternator in place and it was causing my belt to slip. I replace the mounting bolt and a few weeks later the belt tensioner at the top or the alternator was loose and caused the belt to slip again. Now it seems like every couple weeks the tensioner bolt works its way out and the belt slips again.:frowning: Is there anything I can do to stop it from slipping again? Replace the belt? to bolt? whats the torque spec for the belt tensioner?What would cause it to work its way loose?

You could try some loctite or something on the thread. Or… (trying to picture it in my head), I wonder if you could buy a nut with the same thread size and use it as a lock nut?

It may be that just a new bolt would do the trick too…

Or ir could be that the thread on the tensioner is stripped…

Does that help? :slight_smile:

pic…

I am digital camera happy since I just got a new one and thought a pic may help of what the hell I was talking about…

I tightened it all up and it hasne’t loosened up for almost a week now. I’m going to replace it with a 12mm lock-nut soon.

doh!! i was thinking of the power steering tensioner!

For that one, yeah loctite or a new locknut should do the trick :slight_smile: