am i doing this right?

my car died yesterday
I assumed it was ignition coil/ignitor but wasnt sure.

I got the car towed to Honda, (my bad - first experience with a dealer)
Today they called and said it is indeed the ignitioncoil/ignitor, Total comes to $460 for parts and labor :whoa:

I told them not to fix the car, because 460 is too expensive.
I am going to buy my own parts and so that they only charge me for labor(which may be expensive too)

But - anyway -
this is what i have found, Bosch ignition coil and ignitor
are they good? let me know, its half the price of what the dealer sells

I am going to place an order very soon so please let me know if these are good.

thanks

90RS,stock

Do you really need both? Or is that just what the dealer told you? If it were me, and from the experiences i’ve had, I would buy just the coil from the web site you posted (ya thats the correct one) and do the labor yourself, its NOT that hard at all. That is most likely your problem.
OR
You could buy both parts off the web and still change them yourself…
OR
goto your local parts store and buy one from them and not have to wait for shipping :slight_smile:
But thats where the dealer gets people is through labor, the parts aren’t really that expensive…

HTH and good luck!

Dev

Originally posted by Dev90GS
[B]Do you really…
…gets people is through labor, the parts aren’t really that expensive…

HTH and good luck!

Dev [/B]

thanks, even if i have Honda do the labor, i am sure it wont cost me 460. I can get both ignitor($44) and coil ($38) for less than $100 and and they will probabaly charge me around 100 for labor. so total cost 200 instead of 460

Unfortunately the car is still lying at the dealer and even if i choose to do it myself or at cheaper mechanic, it will cost me another $80 to get it towed back to my house or to a cheaper garage. :bang:

But i want to know if the Bosch ignitor and ignition coil is good enough. thanks.

http://catalog.acurapartstore.com/?make=AC&year=1990

Ignition Coil…Ignition Coil OEM…Ignition Coil
F3000-46239…F3000-70288…F3000-46239
In Stock $76.67…Bosch $38.76…Aftermarket $44.67

Igniter…Igniter…Ignition Module
F2024-32364…F2024-32364…F2045-70454
InStock $83.00…Aftermarket $81.60…Bosch $44.91

Both Bosch ignitor and ignition coil are affordable - but are they good?

I’ve heard a few good things about Bosch, no bad stuff so i wouldn’t worry about it…

recall

wasn’t the ignitor recalled on certain year tegs??

If I were you, I would go OEM for both parts…I believe they are $90 a piece, which means they are charging you about $260 in labor for a job that takes about 30 minutes. I have 187,000 miles on mine and they’ve never needed replaced. You need to replace both of them too since, for example, a new coil could blow a new igniter just because it produces a stronger spark when it’s new. Just my $.02.

Originally posted by matt90GS
If I were you, I would go OEM for both parts…I believe they are $90 a piece, which means they are charging you about $260 in labor for a job that takes about 30 minutes. I have 187,000 miles on mine and they’ve never needed replaced. You need to replace both of them too since, for example, a new coil could blow a new igniter just because it produces a stronger spark when it’s new. Just my $.02.

i am replacing both. i ordered both Bosch OEM as shown in the pic above. i dont know what oem means for bosch
should be fine right ?

i dont think bosch is that bad.

I’d say go with bosch, buy it from a local shop, install it in the Honda parking lot, and drive away like this

:smiley: :up:

Yeah, they’ll work but they may not last as long as the parts you would buy from the dealership (OEM). As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. It may cost half as much, but might last half as long. Then again, they might last the life of your car. Either way, you’ll be back on the road again and that’s really all that matters right now.
:smiley:

Yeah, they’ll work but they may not last as long as the parts you would buy from the dealership (OEM). As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. It may cost half as much, but might last half as long. Then again, they might last the life of your car. Either way, you’ll be back on the road again and that’s really all that matters right now.

the stock ones lasted 12 or 13 years

so if this Bosch ignitor/coil last for even 5 years i am happy with that!

alright, when i was troubleshooting my teg when my b16 wouldn’t start, we wereall over the place with thinking what the problem was. to get straight to your problem, if you have access to you teg, go take the distributor cap off, take off the rotor, and take out the ignition module and distributor coil. take them to your nearest advance auto parts. they can test the coil with a standard voltometer (or whatever you use to test charge/current). the ignitor module can be tested by them using some little thing that uses spider clips to connect to the metal connectors on the module. BUT if you want them to test it, you probly have to bring in a copy of the ignitor module and what each metal connector is. i took mine to an advance and they wouldn’t touch it because the specs weren’t in their all-knowing universal handout. but you can replace only the bad one and save some money rather than replacing both. just some info, if the distributors are the same on the JDM b16 and the b18, i could take you step by step through the process above.
hope this helps

Keep in mind that Honda doesn’t actually make a large portion their parts. Especially for the European market, Bosch is large OEM supplier just as Denso is for many Japanese companies. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t buy OEM, but a Honda marked bag and expensive price doesn’t magically make a superior product.

Tom

I believe the rotors, caps, igniters, and coils are all made by TEC. They’ve been good to me.:smiley: