Another header question............

Alright, I’ve been searching for about 2 hours, because I know there are a million and 1 header threads, but I can’t find what I’m looking for. The majority of the threads I looked at were 10-15 years old, and suggested headers that appear to be discontinued. If I had any hair I’d be pulling it out.

I’ve got a pretty corroded aftermarket header that is completely broken just before the O2 bung, at the 2-1 point. I could get a piece fabricated and welded on, but since the rest of the exhaust already fell off (yes, everything), I may as well just do the whole thing right instead of risking future header degradation.

I have decided on the Tanabe Medallion Touring (this is 2.25" right?), a generic 2.25" Magnaflow oval cat, and now I just need to choose a header. I want a two-piece 4-2-1, but other than that, I don’t really know what will fulfill my needs.

92 GS. Stock besides an AEM CAI. No track use, but I definitely love squeezing all the available performance out of this car. I’m not looking to build the motor, and I’m not intentionally looking for HP gains. Although I wouldn’t complain if I got more HP as by-product here. Haha.

What I am looking for is a header that is going to last 150k miles, isn’t going to have fitment/installment issues, isn’t going to take away from my mid-range torque, has the O2 bung, etc. A stock header is even an option, although I suspect a new one would be a lot more expensive than an aftermarket, if I could even find one.
I’d like to keep this as cheap as possible, obviously, but not at the expense of quality.

Length doesn’t matter, as the cat won’t have flanges and custom length cat pipes will have to be made anyway.

Ground clearance does matter. I’m about 1-1.5" lower than stock.

I’m unsure what the stock collector size is, but I’d like to stick with that (2.25"?).

This OBX was recommended:
http://www.2kracing.com/Product/18302.html
I know nothing of its specs or reliability.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I don’t know a whole lot about this stuff, so if I seem to be missing something, I probably am.

the megan header is fine. i used it for a few years and it moved exhaust gas from the inside of my engine out the back of car just fine. i have a tanabe touring medallion catback for sale if youre interested. not sure if you found one already or are still shopping.

The Megan is one of the headers I looked up that seems to be discontinued. At least for 92-93. Their website only has one for 90-91.

What’s the condition of your Tanabe? It’s only $510 shipped for a new one from Amazon.

In doing further research, I’m not interested in the OBX, but the Megan seems to be well-liked. But again, it’s just for 90-91. What would be the difference in years besides the length? Is the O2 bung in a different place, and if so, will that cause me grief?

http://www.meganracing.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=311&catid=8

Not quite related, but just word of caution. I have a 91 GS and I purchased a Megan header that said it was for 90-91, but turned out it was a 92-93. Long story short, the Header did not quite clear the oil pan (kind of a known issue with trying to make the Megan 4-2-1 header work with a 90-91). In a bit of rage, I “modified” the header to make it fit. Now I have a DC sports ceramic coated header and I am happy with it.

Edit: Also the bracket on the Megan header wasn’t even close to fitting the rear mount location. Again… I have a 91 GS.

[QUOTE=Prof007;2332195]Not quite related, but just word of caution. I have a 91 GS and I purchased a Megan header that said it was for 90-91, but turned out it was a 92-93. Long story short, the Header did not quite clear the oil pan (kind of a known issue with trying to make the Megan 4-2-1 header work with a 90-91). In a bit of rage, I “modified” the header to make it fit. Now I have a DC sports ceramic coated header and I am happy with it.

Edit: Also the bracket on the Megan header wasn’t even close to fitting the rear mount location. Again… I have a 91 GS.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that’s definitely related! And the input is much appreciated. That’s the type of info I’m trying to gather. Thank you.

I ended up just getting the DC.

I was hesitant about the DC, but it seems to be the only reasonably priced header I could find that doesn’t seem to have any fitment complaints.

At the very least, it’ll be better that the rusted out Pace Setter that’s currently on it.

Thanks to all who replied!

Try getting a skunk2 intake manifold and a 62mm throttle body.

The DC fit just fine, and I’ve got great ground clearance. The install was quick.
Now I’m just hoping it’s reliable…

definitely late to reply but the one i have is in pretty good shape i would say. its got the standard lowered car scrapes on it along with the obligatory dents. most importantly, the tip is in good shape. if you havent bought one yet then you can have this one if youd like for 380 shipped

Whoa, $380? I got a brand new one for $500 shipped.