Another problem, tach this time.....

As some of you may have read, I had the problem of not getting any spark after I changed my cap and rotor, so I replaced the ignitor, checked the coil which tested fine, took it to the dealer and they replaced to coil (tested fine for them too) and it ran fine. I got my car back Tuesday but hadn’t revved it out until today. At about 5500 rpm, that tach starts to bounce/jump around. Under hard acceleration, it will bounce forward in 500-1000 rpm increments. It does it in 1st-4th gear, donno about 5th. Also, the tach got up to about 8800 rpm, in second gear, but I was going a little less than 50 when it was up that high. The dealer charged me $170 in labor, when all they said that was wrong with the coil. What else could have have tested and screwed up while trying to solve my no spark problem? They must have done something else cause there’s no way a coil takes a couple hours to check. I’m going to the dealer to talk to them tomorrow. What do you guys think the problem might be?

thanks,
Sean

Might be a bad connection inside your distributor. Possibly one of the wires going to your coil or ignitor…??? Just a thought.

I kinda had the same problem in my teg, and I found out that it was just a plug wire that really needed to be replaced. the spark plug wire bieng messed up ended up ruining my coil , so after having the coil replaced, I finally figured it out. And I have had no problems since I replaced the coil and wires… How old are your plug wires?

Originally posted by 93integraman
I kinda had the same problem in my teg, and I found out that it was just a plug wire that really needed to be replaced. the spark plug wire bieng messed up ended up ruining my coil , so after having the coil replaced, I finally figured it out. And I have had no problems since I replaced the coil and wires… How old are your plug wires?

My plug wires are almost brand new.

The same thing happend to my Dad’s '91 Teg LS. I changed the igniter, but it still wouldn’t make spark. So I checked the coil and it tested fine, but I decided to try another one I had laying around anyway. What do you know, it fired right up. As for the tach problem check the connections on the igniter. I would suggest squeezing them with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Hope this helps. :ok: