Any benefits of converting the whole car from OBDO to OBD1

Like the title says, is there any real perks of converting the body to be OBD1 or is it best to just use a jumper harness to convert the engine bay?

For 99.99% of people there’s no benefit to changing the entire car harness. The only benefit really is for those who are super OCD and just “want” it to be that way. But that doesn’t mean you have to use jumpers. A jumper at the ECU simplifies things but IMO jumpers in the bay look trashy and are easily avoided with a little rewiring. If you aren’t comfortable re-wiring connectors then by all means, use a jumper.

This is going to probably be a dumb question. I can’t find any articles. Is it possible to make the engine bay all OBD1. I can’t seem to find any writes ups. I found a link to G2ic.com but it just takes me to the main page.

What do you mean by “make the whole engine bay all OBD1”? What exactly are you trying to achieve here?

If you want the wiring to be “OBD1” then you actually need to replace ALL of the wiring - front of the car to the back, all of it. If you just want it to “look” OBD1 you could change some of the connectors to the gray OBD1 versions opposed to the white/cream OBD0 versions. But regardless of all of that, if you’re running an OBD1 ecu you will need to use an OBD1 distributor and 4 wire, heated, O2 sensor. You can change the injectors too, but that’s optional.

It’s a little out dated but here’s a write-up from 10+yrs ago: http://forums.g2ic.com/forum/information/articles-teg-tips/38286-obd0-to-obd1-conversion-basics-obd-0-obd-1

Thanks for the link!

What I mean is it possible to drop an OBD1 engine in and use the harness that comes with it with out changing the rest of the car.

Possible, yes. But it’s probably the absolute worst method to implement. The OBD1 engine harness will not plug into your chassis harness so you’ll need to create some kind of jumpers or rewire the connectors. This is likely to become a mess unless you really know what you’re doing when it comes to wiring.

Reusing your OBD0 engine harness is the best/easiest solution.

Why is it that you want to use the OBD1 engine harness? It’s all just wires so I’m not sure why you want to use the OBD1 harness vs the OBD0 harness.

Super late reply, I apologize haven’t been on. From my under standing OBD0 is raised to mess with than OBD1