Audio Question....wiring amp and sub

Ok, I thought I knew what I was talking about, but a guy at the local stereo shop got me all confused.

Ok, hear me through. My amp is a 2 channel amp. It runs 90x2 to a 4 ohm load. The amp isn’t supposed to run any lower than 4ohm when bridged mono, and 2ohm when in stereo.

I’ve been under the impression that when you bridge an amp into mono that it halves the impedance. Thus, for my setup. If I bridge the two channels (thus running mono) and send it to a 4ohm speaker the amp will “see” a 2ohm load…which is too low for it.

So, in order to run a single sub, and have my amp bridged mono, I would need to have an 8ohm sub, correct? Cause when I bridge the amp into mono it’ll “see” a 4ohm load?

Re: Audio Question…wiring amp and sub

Originally posted by 91IntegGS
[B]Ok, I thought I knew what I was talking about, but a guy at the local stereo shop got me all confused.

Ok, hear me through. My amp is a 2 channel amp. It runs 90x2 to a 4 ohm load. The amp isn’t supposed to run any lower than 4ohm when bridged mono, and 2ohm when in stereo.

I’ve been under the impression that when you bridge an amp into mono that it halves the impedance. Thus, for my setup. If I bridge the two channels (thus running mono) and send it to a 4ohm speaker the amp will “see” a 2ohm load…which is too low for it.

So, in order to run a single sub, and have my amp bridged mono, I would need to have an 8ohm sub, correct? Cause when I bridge the amp into mono it’ll “see” a 4ohm load? [/B]

I think you misunderstood what the guy was saying. If I remember correctly, when you bridge both channels sum together and each see half the impediance. This means that you bridge a 4 ohm voice coil and each channel seperately sees 2 ohms. That’s why it is stable at 2 ohms stereo and 4 ohms bridged. Notice that the amp is rated at 4 ohms bridged. That means they figured out what’s going on inside for you and have rated it according to what you can put on that output.