Auto belt not locking on passenger or driver side

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone knew exactly what my issue is.

I finally finished a project with the seats. I found some nasty blue seats at the junkyard and had an idea to use them with black plastic trim and replace the final tan element of my complete interior swap.

I completely took apart the blue seats at the yard and left the rails.

After completely taking them apart and cleaning them I found black leather seats in the junk on a different car and took the plastics and auto belts from them.

I completely assembled everything today, using the rails from my tan seats and set it up.

Everything looks great, however the seatbelts won’t stop when pulled with force. The electronic side of the auto belts seems to work fine: opening the doors actuates the belt track, and the belts plugged into the seats and into the sensor on the floor no problem (no chirp).

So I know it’s a mechanical issue I’m just not sure why they won’t work. When I would yank them hard at the yard I swear they stopped. But both sides will not stop. Thinking critically I would assume I did something to the belts internally, but I never touched anything I shouldn’t have.

In the manual it says if this fails, also try pulling the belts at a 40 degree angle, and that it should also catch. When I do this, it won’t catch, but it will drag about 50% more.

Any thoughts? Pretty dangerous for me to roll around like this…

Other than waiting to die in a car crash, they really look 100x better.

Gah, ok maybe I’m just being stupid. After reading this I went for a test drive:

[I]Automatic Retracting Belts
The seat belts used in Acura vehicles may be tested for function without removal. The spools rely on an internal pendulum mechanism to lock under sudden deceleration or impact. The old test of pulling sharply on the belt will not cause it to lock; it must be tested with the vehicle in motion.

Fasten the seat belt while in your normal driving position. The belt should be snug against your chest and lap. In a safe location, drive the vehicle at about 10 mph. Apply the brakes very hard; the belt should lock and restrain you in the seat.[/I]

I could have sworn that on my tan belts, if I would lean forward enough it would catch; also that if I pulled hard it would catch. The tans were 93’, and the seats I cannibalized (with the black belts) were an older set I believe, since I had to fab a little as the rail cable (93) wouldn’t fit properly on the seats (pre93).

Boy I talk a lot, anway I think I’m going to the stealership and see if I can get the belts under warranty. They are pretty shotty looking anyway. But for now I won’t die! haha. :manual: