Auto Tranny Install..?

i have an automatic and its pretty much blown. I was wondering if any of you have ever replaced it themselves. the shop is asking about a grand for the tranny and labor itself. I called a junkyard n found a tranny for 450. would it be cheaper to swap a manual? and ne of you fromt he bayarea know where i can get a good deal on a auto tranny?

thanks,
john

Re: Auto Tranny Install…?

Originally posted by JtPxTreMe
[B]i have an automatic and its pretty much blown. I was wondering if any of you have ever replaced it themselves. the shop is asking about a grand for the tranny and labor itself. I called a junkyard n found a tranny for 450. would it be cheaper to swap a manual? and ne of you fromt he bayarea know where i can get a good deal on a auto tranny?

thanks,
john [/B]

used auto tranny should be 2-300. not sure about labor but i imagine around 250-400. manual swap runs about 6-1000 depending on how much you get each piece for, plus labor- figure 4-600. i heard someone had it done for 1200 from a home mechanic. i got the whole car with front end damage for 400 and am gonna do the swap myself. gonna sell the parts and motor and probably end up profiting :smiley:

so about 500-700 to replace the auto or manual swap for 800-1600. just depends on how bad you want a manual and how much you can source each scenario for.