Auto transmission help

Hey guys. Looking for a little Input here. I bought a 93 LS with auto trans. The issue is that it leaks tranny fluid. BAD. Like you put a quart in, about 30 seconds later its a steady stream. It looks like its coming from the center of the case, where it meets the block. Now my guess is its an input shaft seal. Ive never worked on an auto trans. I’m assuming I would have to crack the case open to do so?

If anyone can shed a little light on the subject, that would be awesome!

How many miles/km are on it? I’ve been told that the torque converters go out first but you have to drop the transmission to check it out. Mine wasn’t that bad though, it was just shifting really poorly despite swapping out transmission fluid. I retired my transmission after about 330,000 mi

Just a hair over 150k. Its bone stock. Previous owner had the tranny replaced apparently. I did however get the car on stands to try and trace the leak. I noticed it was coming out right where the shifter cable goes into the transmission. I popped off that little cover and saw that there was a hole in the case. Visually, everything else looked fine, the only debris I saw was from the case itself. Patched up the hole and put fluid in it after letting it setup. I was able to make it around the block, but it was still leaking. I pulled of that dust cover and started the car. I could see it was just pouring from up towards the center, maybe the input shaft seal. I can give more info once I get it pulled out.

Man… They sure made the bolt for the linkage real easy to get to…

So I was finally able to get the trans pulled out to further inspect the hole in the case… Found another damn hole! I took off the small cover, all looked well. Pryed apart the rest of the case the best I could, without removing those gears n whatnot under the last cover. I found more bits and pieces of the case, all aluminum. No sign of any bits and pieces from gears or anything of the sort… However, I did seem to find that the culprit (I’m assuming) is the differential. The shaft that runs through the center, seems to be loose!

Now… Another question. Can I use the differential out of my old MANUAL b16 trans, and swap that in?? Is there any difference between an auto and manual diff?

Well. I was able to source a new tranny. 150 bucks, 90 day warranty, and around 140k miles on it. I think I’m going to keep the blown one for parts and learning. Always fun pulling stuff apart and seeing the inner workings. (Transmissions are the only thing I’m not up to par on as far as rebuilding n whatnot)

Good Luck. Dont forget to replace the input shaft seal(preferably OEM). I installed other brand and it leaked…
Since your at it might as well put an Inline filter.

Thanks for lookin out! Already had a replacement on deck from acuraoemparts

I know these dont have any sort of filter, one thats easily replaceable at least… Where would you suggest putting the filter? Coming off one of the cooler lines maybe?

Anywho, the trans is in and runs no problem! Not sure the proper amount of fluid she needs though, including what goes into the converter…

I installed mine on one of the line. I have a row aluminum radiator. There is no provision for trans inlet and out, so i installed a transmission cooler and mounted in front of the condenser.

To check the fluid, drive it till trans is in operating temp (10min). Park it in level ground. Shift 1-2-D3-D4-N-R while waiting 5 sec each shift, bring back to park and idle for 30 sec. Turn off car. You have 30 seconds to check the fluid to get its proper level. Take out dipstick, wipe, reinsert and check…

Good Luck… :slight_smile: