automatic to manual swap (auto - 5spd conversion writeup)

Hey, shenrie, I’m still looking for parts for the swap, so figured I’d revive this thread. Are you sure the intermediate shaft/half shaft needs replacing with the swap? It looks like the acura part numbers for the two are the same, but maybe I’m misreading it. What exactly is the problem with the halfshaft? I’m assuming if there is one it’s that the automatic’s is too short.

Also, what are the differences between the ecus of the various years? Someone mentioned that each different year is different, but I’m guessing that at least the 90-91 are the same and the 92-93 are the same. Also, did you ever test to see if it would start using the automatic ecu? It would spit a code (EGR I think), but anyone know if it would work? TIA

The ECUs between 90 and 91 are different. If people try to tell you otherwise, tell them they are uninformed. The difference between these two is this, the 90 has an external PA sensor, the 91 has an internal PA sensor. Example: if you put a 90 ECU in a 91, you’ll get a check engine light (CEL) and the ECU will flash code 13. The only ways to get the CEL to stop are to is to get the correct ECU, or put electrical tape on the CEL (Homer Simpson style), you just won’t know when something else goes wrong. Also, the auto ECU will work to drive around on, but you’ll get a CEL flashing code 12 pretty much telling you that your tranny isn’t there. I have no insight on the 92-93 ECUs.

This is from the writeup. You need to read a little closer;)

As for the intermediate shafts, I have no idea what the difference is. We tried the auto one and just couldnt get it back together so we tried the manual one and it went right back together first try. Also, the intermediate and half shafts are the same thing. Sorry to confuse:uhoh:

DOH! I feel dumb :smiley: I didn’t realize there was more to the original post, I just hadn’t read that part. Sorry :stuck_out_tongue: I’m going to go to my local acura dealer and talk to them about the halfshafts and see if they can tell me if there are any differences (fortunately my local dealer is really nice and doesn’t mind me bugging them with some of the weird questions I have.)

I emailed zdyne about converting my ecu to a manual (I’m having a hard time finding a manual ecu), but haven’t heard back about it, so I may just be able to get mine “chipped” so to speak.

Thanks for the great writeup!

Auto- Manual Swap.

Its Done. Finished. Complete. Its like a new car. Also removed A/C at the same time. Now my car will spin the tires in third is this bad? Also I was raced a Contour SVT with an Intake and no exaust Beat him by a car length. On the way back i noticed my car left 2 LONG trails of rubber- does this mean I got a trans with a LSD?

auto to manual swap

does any have detailed information or know where I can find detailed information on doing a swap from a automatic tranny to a clutch?? Thanks
l8er

We are gonna do it this friday at my place. I’ll see if i can send you the step by step instructions with pics on Monday. Somewhere in here you will find a complete list of what you need.Hope it helps

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40129

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40281

here ya go

:up:

it helps if you look in the archives/articles&teg tips forums for info such as this

:bow:

Or the smarter thing would of been to:search:

damn lucky bastaard!! i wish i had friends to help me do a auto to manual swap =p

Hey LODOSS! Why don’t you come down to Texas and we’ll hook you up

hey!!! new yorker here could use some of that help for a auto to stick swap!!!

hm texas!! =P might be nice to go there in the winter cause i’m sure it’ll be warmer there than here… hm… how long is the drive… lol i think it’ll cost more for me to drive there and back cause it’ll take a t least a whole week =p thx for the offer though… i wish there are more people like u around here. =P i need stick to put my power on the pavement… =P i think i spent too much money on performance part for my car when my car loses so much of it thx to the auto.

auto to 5sp conversion

ok i just got a 91 ls teg from an auction and i i basically stole it from them, the only issue i have with the car besides have to spend a small country to replace the altenator, is the fact that is an auto!!.i’ve searched the forums for info on and now i’m wondering if anyone in the dc/va/md area know somewhere that i could get it converted to manual and about how much would this run me.

If you got it for a steal, sell it, and buy and manual teg.

:roll: i see my sarcasm is lost

Originally posted by ib4e
:roll: i see my sarcasm is lost

I’m not trying to be a prick or anything. I have an automatic teg too. If I were to start all over, I would have bought the 5-speed one off the same lot.

Being that you just got your car, sell it before you get attached/start modding and get a better platform to start with.

Sup man!! I’ve done that swap before.

Trans $350
Shift linkage $75
Half shaft xtension $250 new/ 75$ used
Motor mount $50
Pedal sets and clutch cable$100
Paying someone for labor to pull your dash out.
I charged $700

It was a pain in the rear but it can be done.

Hope this helps…

thanks, thats the kinda response i was lookin for, now i have some ball park figure to play around with.

Originally posted by SE-37K
[B]I’m not trying to be a prick or anything. I have an automatic teg too. If I were to start all over, I would have bought the 5-speed one off the same lot.

Being that you just got your car, sell it before you get attached/start modding and get a better platform to start with. [/B]

:werd:

Like SE-37k said…sell it before you start modding it/getting attatched to it. Then get a 5speed.

I did the auto to 5speed converstion…but I did it because I was attatched to my car…hell, I’m it’s first and only owner, so I kept it. If I were you I would just sell it, since you just got it, and get a 5speed teg. Seriously.

hey, if you got it for a good price, sell it… make some money out of it… and get a stick teg…

insane: why the Half shaft extension, please explain… im thinking of doing the conversion also…
P>S> nice XSI, i am thinking a jdm g2 front clip and swaping trans. and eng.