Automatic Transmission Performance

interesting… ya i always feel the tug at 3500. too bad it only lasts to 6500 =( probably explains why ram says his feels like vtec kicks in or something heh

so all this talk of stall speed… what about just wanting the gears switch quicker or lock in firmer. does the TC do all this, and if so, is it due to the higher stall speed, a beefier built TC, or just the mere act of rebuilding the tranny?

The gear changing is controlled by the tranny computer, and unfortunately, the tranny computer hates performance. It shifts far below redline typically, and so far I don’t know of a way to control the shift points, unless some chipper can modify them, but even then, you wouldn’t want it shifting at redline all the time, as you’d destroy your tranny rather quickly. The firmness of the shifts is a function of the clutches and the line pressure. Rebuilding it with a level ten pts kit should help to firm up the shifts a bit, and recalibrating the valve bodies should also help a bit. Really though, the biggest problems lie with the fact that you can’t get it to shift at redline in every gear, and the fact that you lose almost twice the power in the auto than you do in a manual. The redline shifting is probably the biggest problem though, since our small displacement high revving engines have a relatively narrow peak powerband.

If you drive your auto in s3 it will shift at the redline every time you leave your foot in it till the redline. Granted this is hard on the tranny, but mine lasted 4 years in that fashon. This includes the daily drive and autox every other weekend. I think as long as you took better care of your tranny than I did, it would probably last longer. You know tranny flushes and whatnot at the recommended intervals, unlike myself.

Interesting stuff though. Has anyone ever had a chipped auto ECU. I recall one of the members having something like that, but Im having problems remembering his screenname. He had a boosted sedan that was an automatic. I remember when he had that ECU in the parts exchange, but I couldnt afford it at the time.

Interesting, I’m pretty sure with my s3, when flooring it from a stop, I redline in first, then it switches to second, but won’t redline second, then switches to third, and the lets me redline that until I press the s4 switch. Maybe I’m wrong though and have been letting up on the gas or not paying enough attention. I’ll have to try that. Thanks

I redline my car about once a day, it’s usually in S3 but if you leave in D and keep your foot there, the car will RL too.

shenrie LODOSS had his programmed by JET. he mentioned he wasnt really pleased with it =/

Worth it???
AEM CAI, DC Ceramic Header, Tanabe exhaust, Crower 403’s, AEM Tru Time cam gears. AEM Fuel Rail, Venom Injectors. With a lightened torque convertor. Would it be worth the gains for an auto? This is all I want to do to my engine. But like Neil, I dont wanna sell or swap for a manual. i have a special bond with my car! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by NTegRacer91
Worth it???
AEM CAI, DC Ceramic Header, Tanabe exhaust, Crower 403’s, AEM Tru Time cam gears. AEM Fuel Rail, Venom Injectors. With a lightened torque convertor. Would it be worth the gains for an auto? This is all I want to do to my engine. But like Neil, I dont wanna sell or swap for a manual. i have a special bond with my car! :slight_smile:

thats a buttload of cash. in that case i think i would sell my car for a manual. hell even hold out for a gsr. id drop her like a dime whore. sorry baby…

Originally posted by NTegRacer91
Worth it???
AEM CAI–$200
DC Ceramic Header–$400
Tanabe exhaust–$500
Crower 403’s–$400
AEM Tru Time cam gears–??
AEM Fuel Rail–??
Venom Injectors–??
With a lightened torque convertor–??
Would it be worth the gains for an auto? This is all I want to do to my engine. But like Neil, I dont wanna sell or swap for a manual. i have a special bond with my car! :slight_smile:

This is from a magazine we have here called “Hot 4’s”. I must say, fortunately most of the cars shown are real performance cars, although sometimes you do get the posers, ricers and ‘chequebook mechanics’ filtering through. which is ok, it just means we can mock them on a national level.

“Fueltronics in Adeliaide built a 200SX which recently clocked a 12.21 @ 118mph pass (this is a few years old) on 205/55 street tyres. The car is just left in drive at the track, so it does a lazy 2.2second 60-foot time, but as a result it never gets too out of shape so the power gets to the ground well when the engine gets into its stride. The slurred gear changes also keep the engine loaded up, so there’s no loss of boost between the gears. At the same time, slurred changes cause less stress on the rest of the drivetrain, so they get away with running a standard diff and driveshafts.”

There’s just a few positives of auto, relevant or not, its still interesting.

yoru taling about a automatic 200 sx tthat is turbo right???

o yah guys got y cam gears put in and FPR… the motor mount… blah he did not do it he put in some shim said that’ll help the hops… i told him it’s not the hop but the idel vibration but oh well… this dude is cool… he hooked me up. 50 bucks for the cam geras and FPR. cut holes on valve cover too. i know i know i can prob get it done chepaer by myself or with the help of one of you. but i just want to get it done… still 50 bucks… hm… the sawinig and drilling took about 20 mins… that damn valve cover is hard stuff. the plastic is a piece of cake.

well i was installing my razo bulbs all day all ngith for the last 3 - 4 night tonight i also adjusted the FPR… i don’t have a guage so i don’t knw… all i know is i made it a tad bit more tigher = more pressure. and when i took it out on the road the car pulls really good… and after i mess around witht he AFC, the car pulls like a beast now… ia m very impressed with it… but i’m sure i’ll get more hp/tq out of it on a dyno. which will be tomorrow.

cam settings i told the ugy to set it at +2, - 2. due to the long durations of the 403’ i give it a couple more degrees before the exhuast opens up.

Yee, SR20DET all the way!

I dont think we got non turbo S14’s

(if we did, no-one admits to owning one)

Originally posted by Crack Head
[B]this is actually nice!! i would like to rather fix up my auto and not do a swap. i emailed the guys at pro tech seeing if they could send me any information about what they have to offer. i hope i can find out some stuff to do to my automatic tranny and teach those people with the five speeds that we can roll with them to!

also, level ten’s website is http://www.levelten.com [/B]

That’s where I got my Transmission done at, but its a 5 speed, so I wont say any more