b16 vs b17

What is the difference between a B16a and the GSR B17? I know there is like 6 more torque in the B17. So, since I have a B16a and a GSR tranny, don’t I pretty much have a GSR? This is just out of curiosity.
L.

nope…stroke is longer in b17 hence the increased displacement.

There isn’t TOO much of a difference between the B16A and the B17A. When comparing the OBD O B16A with the B17A1, the B17A might have some slight advantages. Both engines are rated at 160 hp, but the B17A does make a little bit more torque (6 lb/ft) because of its higher displacement. The downside of the B17A is its compression ratio. It has a mediocre 9.7:1 ratio, which makes it harder to make more power with simple modifications. The B17A1 is the ONLY DOHC VTEC engine to have less than 10.0:1 compression (the USDM DC2 GS-R has 10.0:1). The OBD 0 B16A has a 10.2:1 compression ratio, which is more suited to N/A tuning. (I think the B17A1 had such low compression because the Japanese didn’t trust the stupid American to put premium gasoline in his car. This is why on most DOHC VTEC equipped cars in the US you see “PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL ONLY” on the gauge cluster.)

Comparing the B17A1 to the OBD1 B16A is a little different. The OBD 1 B16A has 170 hp compared to the B17A1s 160, and the B17A1 only has 3 lb/ft torque more than the B16A. The OBD 1 B16A has a much higher 10.4:1 compression ratio, so it will respond better to basic bolt-on modification.
Overall the OBD 1 B16A is a better engine than the B17A1.

If the B17A1 had a higher compression ratio it would be an AWESOME engine for the DA Integra.

I hope this answered your question.

at least u know now how to get your engine compatiable for turbo…thats if thats what your aiming for

if you got a b17a just put some high comp pistons in…

what is OBD 0

OBD = On Board Diagnostics

Basically its the electronics system that runs your car including the ecu and distributor. There are different versions of OBD.

89-91 = obd0 aka non obd
92-95 = obd1
96+ = obd2 (there are different versions of obd2 for different years, and I’m not up to date w/ what the types of systems the newest hondas have…but it doesn’t really apply to us so it shouldn’t matter :wink: )

If you need more info than what I posted… :search:

does that even make sense? especially when usdm c1’s & c5’s have higher c.r.'s than the 17a? and, do they even sell the 17a in Japan?

The b17 is american made only.

:gtfo: :slight_smile: why would you do that if you wanted to go turbo?

B17 is Japanese made for the US market.

i always thought of the lower compression ratio for was US emission purposes. :shrug:

i dunno, sounds reasonable tho

Is the reason that 90-91 tegs get only 24/28 EPA rated fuel economy because they have (or dont have if you want to get technical) ODB0?

The B17a were also sold in Australian market, I have heard they were sold as early as 1990 in Australia. The b16a XSI were on the market as early as 1988 overseas.
I have two b17a. One is completely OEM except for the Exhaust, the other B17a I am sure is modified since the engine would rev/run to 9200rpm’s
Once I get both engines to a Shop for a complete disassembly spec verification, i will post the findings that I get from that shop so you G2IC’rs will have the updated real information on a OEM and mod’d b17a.
I have ran b16a on my first 1991 Integra, and it was pretty quick, granted I was running it on a S1 short geared transmission.

B16a’s are nice engine, but gut less because of the lack of torque. The b17a feels like a weaker b18a til you get to that 4.5k rpm then is sweet. b18b1 are nice engine for 1.8l Ls engines. I have yet to build my B18c1 and see how that turns out on the right transmission.
b20z are really nice engines too, they just run, kind of hard on the tires, but then, on the freeway, they just run, add a little more gas, and they GO~!

Holy thread resuscitation! But I look forward to your findings.

I will let you know once I get either my (what i believe to be OEm B17a) and my other B17a part measured out. And compare those to stock B16a of various yr/gen.