B17A Bogging?

Hey everyone! Ive had my DB2 here for a few months, and I have a gremlin I have been slowly chasing. Its like, all of the sudden, it will hit a wall when driving, like sucking through a straw, you can feel when it starts when you are on the throttle and it kinda stops the car from accelerating. It will do this until around 5kish and then open up like its supposed to. So far, I have done Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, and cleaned the intake mani with carb cleaner. Its slowly getting worse, and Im kind of getting worried it could be something big. At this point in time, and my next thing im doing, is taking off the Catalytic converter and knocking all the stuff out of the inside of it. The current cat is the stock one, and the body has 250k~ miles. Any other suggestions are awesome! Thanks guys!

Edit- also, my ebrake doesn’t work. Checked the adjustment, drivers side is tight, passenger is super loose. Abs light is on. Is there a way to adjust this without the nut under the ebrake? Is my caliper screwed?

Is the bogging issue consistent (happens every single time you accelerate) or is it intermittent? My immediate thought is coil or igniter or incorrect mechanical timing (timing belt issue).

Checking the cat is a good idea but I would assume a clogged cat would cause bogging at low rpm, not high rpm. Don’t knock out the cat insides needlessly. If it’s clogged, buy a new one.

For the brake stuff, have you followed the procedures in chapter 19 of your Helms factory service manual?

Bogging is intermittent, happens more than not, but not always. Bogging happens from 2-5k usually, so cat is a possibility. How do I check a cat? For the brakes, I have no helms manual =[.

Get the Helms manual, you shouldn’t be working on your car without it. That’s step #1.

You can check the cat by removing it and holding it up to the sun (or any bright light source) like a telescope (but don’t put your eye right up to the cat, hold it a foot or so away from your face). The inside of the cat is made from a metal grid that runs the length of the cat. When lined up perfectly between the sun and your eye you will see some light come through. It’s basically like looking through a screen that is a foot thick. You should be able to tell pretty easily if it’s clogged or not. I’m very doubtful that the cat is clogged. Your engine flows more air at high rpm so a restriction in your exhaust will be more apparent the higher you rev the engine. A clogged cat likely would not bog <5k and then clear up after that - instead it would just get worse and worse or possibly prevent the car from revving any higher. It should also be a consistent problem, not an intermittent one - unless the clog is moving around and clogging/unclogging.

I’d still be focused on ignition or engine timing, personally.

If you don’t know where to get a Helms, shoot me an email: 1colin (at) gmail