B18A to B18B

My motor blew up on me and I need a replacement motor.

I am considering a swap with possibly a complete change over.
I’ve looked into purchasing a B18B LS long block with an AUTO-tranny from HMonline (current tranny is also crapped out).

Now this is going to be my first time swapping an engine. Is everything pretty
much plug n play? Quite frankly, I’m not all that mechanical savy.
Also, would I need a new ECU if the current one doesn’t match up with
my new motor? (OB0 → OB1)

It would be really helpful if someone can step me through this as far as
proper procedures, accessories/parts to purchase, and things that I can reuse from my B18A.

:angel: Thanks in advance!

p.s. budget of $1500.00

as long as you keep the A1 distributor that will plug right in, ECU will also work just fine, and all the sensors should be the same as well. basically just drop it in with the A1 distributor and all should be good

I see.

is it worth converting to OBD1? Are there any performance difference by doing so?

as far as I know switching to obd1 will allow you a lot more options for tuning and therefore perhaps some more power and ultimately somewhat better fuel mileage…Someone will of course correct me if I am wrong…

i agree with Zen on going OBD1

yeah obd1 is potential for performance growth capability. Obviouslly I would need the conversion harness and I need to switch over ECUs. What ecu would I need then? Purchasing LS long block from some 94-01 integra.

OBD 1 PR4 i think

get the 94-95 ls ecu, it should run the b18b the best, if you want to go obd1. you can get 92-93 obd1 ecu but it’s more tailored for the b18a1 in those year integras, both will work fine though for daily driving and you could get a hondata or any other tunning software system adapted to it if you want to tune later on. just my 02.

mildsquare: my thoughts exactly, so I might go to some junk yard and scrounge for some 94-95 LS ECUs. Hondata is definietly something to look into as well.

Most of the sensors are the same, different locations. re use your original engine harness, OBD0 §§§§§ and intake/exhaust manifolds.

This is for a simple plug in play setup.

I don’t know if the auto trans will bolt right up, in regards to the wiring.

I had a straight B18B swap before my LSVTEC.

I would only consider going OBD1 if you’re serious about actually building the motor, if stock with bolt ons is what you’re after, stick to OBD0.

Im doing the exact same swap into my 1990 DA. all you need to do is extend your fan switch wire from your DA harness.

You can use the b18b intake manifold, exhaust hamifold, distributor, alretnator, starter.

IF you want to, you can change your ECU to 0bd1.

Nothing else. People dont know what they are talking about.

i actually just did this with both obd1 (current) and obd2 (spun a bearing after 54.1 miles :() b18bs into a 90 DB1.

the fan switch is in a different location then original. 90-93 is in the back of the block, the 94-01 has it in the t-stat housing. how you convert this is up to you. other then that, the sensors are in the same location. well other then the o2, but thats not dealing with engine sensors :D.

if your going to use the b18b intake manifold, your going to need to add a few vac lines and splices. if “clean” or “tucked” is your look, this isnt going to be for you. for ease, i would suggest you stick to the b18a intake manifold.

the best place for you to get an engine in norcal, by the way, is engine world (in emmeryville) or attarco (in richmond). both will be far cheaper then any engine shipped up from socal. both those places offer free shipping (locally) and 6 month unconditional warranty. they will ask for a core though, as long as you dont have a whole in the block you should be ok. even if you do, the core charge + new engine is far less then one from hmotors ;).

as far as transmissions go… to be honest, i would rebuild the one you have. this will be cheaper for you in the long run. automatic transmissions are finicky and are often very misused. getting a used automatic is probably going to be a headache, if it even works.

so my advice:
used b18b from engine world ($713.36 dropped to your door step)
rebuilt autotragic transmission

Which ever route you go, don’t forget your in CA and sooner or later you’ll need to do a smog check. So make sure what you do will pass smog check.

90DB1T: you sir are the best. I’ve always thought that switching intake manifolds would compromise performance by a small margin (since the porting on the B18B’s are bigger than the BA1A’s…could be wrong) And do you know how much it’s gonna run me to rebuild an auto tranny? I thought it would cost a bit more than just buying another transmission. I shall give the others a call!:rockon:

spikeymike: yeah, just got my registration renewal notice and they’re asking for a smog check with it. Hopefully running on OBD1 would help with smog (since I’ll be converting). Other than that my previous smog runs passed with flying colors!

[QUOTE=spikeymike;2111095]So make sure what you do will pass smog check.[/QUOTE]what part are you referring to? if the swap is legal?

the difference in parts design between the b18a and b18b is very slight and will NOT grossly effect the engine efficiency. however, i would keep more on my toes about the condition of the cat and other emissions systems as newer parts seem, in my experience, to cause older parts to break.

as far as the automatic rebuild goes… well your going to have to do some calling around. i would stick my neck out there and rebuild it for you, but i dont like rebuilding autos. if it was a 5spd trans things would be different.

Checking his profile, it says he has a 92, which should already be OBD1.

If that is the case, then there is no converting involved.

shocker: what year is your car? 92?

It’s a 91 LS. Straight from canada.

I gotta call around as well to see if someone can rebuild my auto tranny. But if you were to drive it it’s…pretty bad hahah so I’m not sure if it’s worth rebuilding. I’ll have someone run a free estimate for me to determine if it’s rebuildable and find out about the cost difference.

regarding the auto trans…you can maybe check out a national salvage company called LKQ. i dont know if they would have one resaonably close to you but they can get parts from around the country from their other locations, and from personal experience on another car, i have bought a complete motor and auto trans from them with no issues just be sure to flush the trans right away. they also have warranty’s on all their parts

just an option

[QUOTE=jdm_overdose;2110478]Im doing the exact same swap into my 1990 DA. all you need to do is extend your fan switch wire from your DA harness.

You can use the b18b intake manifold, exhaust hamifold, distributor, alretnator, starter.

IF you want to, you can change your ECU to 0bd1.

Nothing else. People dont know what they are talking about.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=90DB1T;2111086]i actually just did this with both obd1 (current) and obd2 (spun a bearing after 54.1 miles :() b18bs into a 90 DB1.

the fan switch is in a different location then original. 90-93 is in the back of the block, the 94-01 has it in the t-stat housing. how you convert this is up to you. other then that, the sensors are in the same location. well other then the o2, but thats not dealing with engine sensors :D.

if your going to use the b18b intake manifold, your going to need to add a few vac lines and splices. if “clean” or “tucked” is your look, this isnt going to be for you. for ease, i would suggest you stick to the b18a intake manifold.

the best place for you to get an engine in norcal, by the way, is engine world (in emmeryville) or attarco (in richmond). both will be far cheaper then any engine shipped up from socal. both those places offer free shipping (locally) and 6 month unconditional warranty. they will ask for a core though, as long as you dont have a whole in the block you should be ok. even if you do, the core charge + new engine is far less then one from hmotors ;).

as far as transmissions go… to be honest, i would rebuild the one you have. this will be cheaper for you in the long run. automatic transmissions are finicky and are often very misused. getting a used automatic is probably going to be a headache, if it even works.

so my advice:
used b18b from engine world ($713.36 dropped to your door step)
rebuilt autotragic transmission[/QUOTE]
Great post, reason why I mentioned the OBD0 manifold was simple, ease of installation.

You can use whatever you like actually, you can even modify a stock B16 manifold to work. Anything is possible, people just don’t know WTF is up though.

These all are great responses.

UPDATE:

So considering the cost of this project…it would roughly run me 1200-1400 depending on additional parts I may need to purchase. Rebuilding trannies is out of the question since cost of doing it is pretty high.

SOOOO…i’ve spotted another DA but it’s a 90 GS DB1 and it’s aesthetically and in good mechanical condition. Recently swapped B18A with less than 100k on the motor, 5 speed i believe.

He’s asking $1600. My dilemma now is should i consider buying the car and selling my current DA? I would obviously be transfering over my old stuff (konis, 1pc headlights, interior cause mine is super clean, mudflaps, wheels, etc).

I figured this would save me ALOT more time than rebuilding and swapping in another engine.