B18A1 Build up..

I think its worth it… As matter of fact there is 2 of us that think that… Every one is swaping out the A1 for the 16 or the C1, and if they can find one the C3… But not too many are sticking with the the good old A1… Me and my friend did a little snooping around and found our build up… There still is some holes to fill but im sure you all could lend a hand… some questions are right up your alley if you did the b18c1 swap…
Block and bottom half…

Bore out the block to the 2.0L- golden eagle
godzilla sleevs by golden eagle
Stroke it to the 2.2 or 2.3L (have to do the math still)
Mid compression pistons- some what agressive.
morroso oil pan.
aem pullys
?? need help on a better alt.
?? should we ditch the power stearing
totaly remove the ac… mine dont work any how. some dude drilled a hole in my fire wall and distroyed it…
aem pullys and what not.
Venom adj. cams
and chip the ecu

top end… once the bottom end is done.
we decided on the C1 head. better for turbo… he said he will go with the C5 swap cause he is going to go NA… Im going to be bold and take the extra step. this is where i need help… i have been all over the mods for the A1 and the top end is at a los for mods… i have not started the seatch for the c1(for me and the c3 search for my friend… both of our trannys have been swaped out with the SI tranny and then converted the 4thand 5th gear back the the LS… the gears were just better that way… shoot me if im worng…

could any one help me out here… we are still on the searcha nd nothing has been hammered out yet in stone… but i would like to know the better parts for the top ends… thr. body and all that…

if any one has the stock a1 with stock head what didyou do to it… i would still like to stay all all a1 but well the c1 swap is more and more closer… besides i love the morrso valve cover.
thanks
steve
mail me at
ibpimp2u@aol
or
kingsa@3mawyuma.usmc.mil

A1 vs C1

to tell you the truth, heres what i think…if you want an all out destroyer beast engine, which seems like you do, then ive heard and wanna try out that fully building an A1 head is better than vtec once you pass a certain point…it gets to the point that your big cam in the a1, which is always engaged will surpass the c1 vtec cam (which is RPM selective) pretty much i think if you build an ls all the way i dont see where vtec would even be an issue…other cars dont have to use variable timing to be fast, why do hondas? if you do put alot of work into your engine i think the vtec is just going to be useless, because with a fully built to hell and back LS head, you will be able to rev very high, have consistent power numbers throughout the power band without having to wait for vtec to kick in, and will have so much torque from the stroker/bored engine to spank mustangs…but be carefull with that stroker and boring project…its a thin line between insane torque and power, and instant destruction…go with the A1 and take the road less taken…good luck and make it clear that i love vtec, but its nice to see someone be different

Re: A1 vs C1

Originally posted by wethatchback
to tell you the truth, heres what i think…if you want an all out destroyer beast engine, which seems like you do, then ive heard and wanna try out that fully building an A1 head is better than vtec once you pass a certain point…it gets to the point that your big cam in the a1, which is always engaged will surpass the c1 vtec cam (which is RPM selective) pretty much i think if you build an ls all the way i dont see where vtec would even be an issue…other cars dont have to use variable timing to be fast, why do hondas? if you do put alot of work into your engine i think the vtec is just going to be useless, because with a fully built to hell and back LS head, you will be able to rev very high, have consistent power numbers throughout the power band without having to wait for vtec to kick in, and will have so much torque from the stroker/bored engine to spank mustangs…but be carefull with that stroker and boring project…its a thin line between insane torque and power, and instant destruction…go with the A1 and take the road less taken…good luck and make it clear that i love vtec, but its nice to see someone be different

you’re thinking about it in the wrong way. Honda doesn’t use vtec to make cars that have more potential hp, they use vtec to make that power streetable. Figure this, honda makes a 195hp 1.8 liter integra type R motor. Thats a lot of power out of a 1.8 liter naturally aspirated motor. Now try building your b18a to make 195hp. It can definitely be done, but are you gonna want to drive it? no, it’d be a race motor. An ls motor with that much power is definitely not going to be something you want to put in a street vehicle, it would just be too much hassle to drive.

In general (meaning ignoring combustion chamber dynamics, differences in flow of different paths of ports in the head…) your LS motor has the same basic hp potential that a vtec motor of the same displacement would have. The fact that vtec essentially uses 2 sets of camshafts (not really, but it acts as 2) allows you to have a motor that is both streetable but also very powerful once you start to rev it out.

Oh, and another thing. I’m pretty sure that a lot of vtec race cars (i think drag cars mainly) are actually setup to run the vtec lobe all the time, meaning it acts just like an LS motor in that its not switching between lobes. I think they still use the vtec engines opposed to using an LS one because honda put a lot more design work into making them more “race” inspired: higher reving capabilities, better flowing heads, intake manifolds, better oil delivery and cooling…

You are correct VTEC is mainly there to flatten out the torque curve giving you more linear power. There actually is a cam by TODA for VTEC motors called the VTEC killer cams. This cam only has one set of lobes and is hollow. The kit also does away with all the VTEC mechanics allowing for a lighter valvetrain reducing parasitic losses. That said the car would but gutless below 5000 rpms and would idle like a harley, not exactly streetable. The problem with using the b18a head or even the b18b head is these heads were not designed to flow nearly as well as the b18c1 or especially b18c5 head(a slighty ported b16a head). Also stroking a b18a isnt a good idea because by stroking you increase the rod ratio thus increasing side loading of the pistons which limits how high you can rev, which is what large overlap cams like. The only way to really increase displacement on the b18 series motors is by boring and at a certain point it become necessary to sleeve the block because the cylinder walls become so thin. Also big cams like big compression ie above 11.5:1. BTW the realtime tegs are running on the high lobe of the VTEC cam all the time, but these cars never drop below 7000 rpm during the entire race except during pit stops.