b18c and b17a1

I currently have a b17a1 gsr teg with a spun rod bearing.
so i want to get a b18c1 or c5 block,all i want to know is if the wiring will work? also will the b17a1 inernals fit or do i need a complete short block?
thankks…

if you get a type r engine, you should be able to take your b17 wiring and some of the sensors and slap them on to your new engine. i am sure that some of the sensors on the head will require you to lengthen some wires in your engine bay harness. you would also have to chip your ecu and get it tuned or flashed with an itr program. you might also run into problems when trying to bolt up your steering pump from what i’ve heard

if you get the b18gsr engine, you will need an ecu that can run the gsr head and will have to run extra wires from the ecu to the engine.

if i were you, i would just find a gsr or type r shortblock (bottom end only) and use the b17 head. it would probably be the most cost-effective solution.

that’s exactly what I want to do.is get a complete short block and use my b17 head.

I did something similar: poor man’s ITR (B18C1 block, B17A (PR3) head with JDM ITR and Spoon internals throughout.)

It’s pretty straight forward. You will use pretty much most (if not all) your wiring from your current setup. Some of the sensors (knock, etc.) can transfer over to the new block and some you might want to use that came on the shortblock you receive. Depending on the latter - just as gilcontr mentioned - you may have to lengthen some of your sensor wires to reach the different positions on the new shortblock, however I did not need to myself. Use your original power steering pump, pulley and upper bracket, but you will need a slightly longer pulley belt. You will need to use the P72/73 timing belt and your stock P61 lower timing belt cover will not fit if you still want to keep one on.