battery light flickering on dash, what could it be?

Hey,

My idle also goes up to about 1500 RPM when the battery light is on, but then goes to regular 750 RPM when it turns off. Also after 4000 RPM the battery light turns off. Sometimes it stays on for a while, other times it flickers, its never constant. What could it be? Thanks for any input.

Jeremy

Any idea on the condition of the alternator? This sounds similar to how mine was acting when the alternator died (well, never fully died, but wasen’t putting out enough power). If you have an Autozone around they will run a free charging system diagnostic - I believe the output amperage should be around 40-45 for a good one at 2000 RPM, with the stock 70 amp alternator.

Had the same syptom before my alternator died. Get it checked out before its too late.

alternator brushes

its the alternator brushes; go to honda pick some up there are like 35 bucks and you dont have to take the alternator out; i just did this like a month ago; fixed the problem…hope that helps

Re: alternator brushes

Originally posted by jDMJeRk
its the alternator brushes; go to honda pick some up there are like 35 bucks and you dont have to take the alternator out; i just did this like a month ago; fixed the problem…hope that helps

Wait, how’d you replace the brushes w/o taking out the alternator?

Oh yeah, I’ve had the similar battery light check and it’s the alternator that needs replacing or fix’n. Go get it checked before the car won’t crank!

i know im a n00b on honda tech…but you can replace them W/O taking the alternator out; I PROMISE you…its very easy like 35 minutes max…just look in the manuals…its so easy…