best lug nuts on stock Acura wheels?

hey guys, I have 99-01 GS-R rims on my G2…awhile ago i put on some lugs that really shouldnt be on these stock wheels, i think they are made for aftermarket wheels… I’m looking for a stock replacement, looks stock, etc, with one locking lug on each wheel, in chrome or stainless steel, something that won’t ever rust…

What do you guys recommend? and what do some of you guys have that you could speak w/ experience about?..Let me know, thanks!

:bow:

mcgard splinedrive lug nuts. nothin beats 'em.

www.summitracing.com carries 'em.

Those look as if they are for “tuner” wheels…I’m looking for an OEM replacement…

Does anyone know the exact size lug nuts i need for my 99-01 GSR wheels?

I see several sizes…
12mm x 1.5mm thread, 3/16" hex size
12mm x 1.25mm thread, 3/16" hex size
12mm x 1.5mm thread, 3/4" hex size

:shrug:

if you want strict OEM replacements, why are you looking at SAE hex sizes? factory lugs are 19mm.

you don’t need “tuner” wheels to use the splinedrives–they’re also the same price range as “regular” lug nuts, and are a HELL of a lot more secure.

edit: Now that I look at your original post, it seems like you are misunderstanding the concept of lug nuts. They have nothing to do with your wheels, except for the fact that they hold them on. When I say this, I’m referring to your thinking that certain lug nuts are for aftermarket or “tuner” wheels–this is a misconception. The lug nuts go on your studs, not on your wheels. It doesn’t matter what kind of wheels you have. A factory lug nut from Honda will fit just the same if you’re using stock steelies or a $2000 set of Work Emotions or some other high-dollar wheel. So when you refer to “what lugs work best with my wheels” it’s totally irrelevant. If it’s a lug that will work on a Honda, it doesn’t matter what wheel you have. GSR, stock steelies, Volks, Buddy Clubs, whatever–as far as fitting with your wheels is concerned, lugs is lugs.

Ok, thanks for the reply, this helps alot…I initially said i was looking for a stock replacement lug because the lug nuts i have now do not seem to fit well…it could be just the lugs, but whenever i take my wheels off and go to tighten the lugs back on, they don’t tighten fully…so i put my wheels back on, take a ride in the car and the wheel is shaking like crazy…so i go back, tighten the now LOOSE lugs and take a ride again, still not tight enough and the steering wheel still shakes like crazy…this all being because when first tighten the lugs back onto the car w/ the wheel, it doesnt stay tight…

This is why I want direct fit OEM lug nuts for my car…ur right the wheels i have on the car prolly make it totally irrelivant when concerned with the lugs…

anyone else have some input?

that’s because the GSR wheels are an aluminum “premium” wheel…they require re-torquing of the lug nuts. you put the wheels on, torque the lugs down to spec (75-80 ft-lbs.), drive around for a bit (they “claim” 100 miles, but hell around the block will work fine), and then re-torque them to spec.

as far as why it happens, you’ll have to ask someone who knows more than me. i just know it happens, and it’s somethin ya just gotta deal with. :shrug:

hmm…ya see, I torque them with an air gun, then lower the car and re-torque them once they are on the ground to about 100ft.lbs…then take it for a drive…but i do it like 5 times and its not every wheel that gets the loose lugs, its usually just one…
:shrug:

it just doesnt seem normal to me…

Or you could just go to the junkyard and get the stock lugnuts off a 99-01 GSR. I don’t see why you should waste money and lugnuts, when stock ones work just fine.

Originally posted by zoomintegra
When I say this, I’m referring to your thinking that certain lug nuts are for aftermarket or “tuner” wheels–this is a misconception. The lug nuts go on your studs, not on your wheels. It doesn’t matter what kind of wheels you have. A factory lug nut from Honda will fit just the same if you’re using stock steelies or a $2000 set of Work Emotions or some other high-dollar wheel. So when you refer to “what lugs work best with my wheels” it’s totally irrelevant. If it’s a lug that will work on a Honda, it doesn’t matter what wheel you have. GSR, stock steelies, Volks, Buddy Clubs, whatever–as far as fitting with your wheels is concerned, lugs is lugs.

actually it does matter what lugs you use on aftermarket wheels. not all aftermarket wheels can accept stock lug nuts because of the diameter of the lug hole and the way the lug is supposed to be seated. some aftermarket wheels look like they can take stock lugs, but when you try to use a lug wrench on them, it won’t fit into the lug hole.

for example take racing hart c2’s. the ones with the center cap. you can’t just take a factory lug nut from an integra and be able to bolt it on with the center cap fitting back on. the factory lug nut is way too tall. the racing harts require specific lug nuts.

some educating info from the tire rack website:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/nutsandbolts.htm

“While many aftermarket alloy wheels are designed to use your car’s original lug nuts or bolts, others require new hardware. It may be something as critical as differences in the wheel’s lug seat design as shown below, or something as simple as shorter lug heads to allow the wheel’s center caps to fit. If your new wheels require new hardware, your invoice will list the appropriate quantity identified by our part description, beginning with an “N” for lug nuts or a “B” for lug bolts followed by the size, pitch, seat design, length and the appropriate lug wrench socket size.”

thanks for the info mike, but i just want to make sure the iteration is made–this thread is referring to 99-01 GSR wheels, so factory lugs for that car will work just fine.

also, the mcgard splinedrives are available in different seating styles, so it’s fairly difficult to find wheels that the mcgards won’t work with (not saying they don’t exist, but the chances of getting them is fairly slim). i know many many many people, import and domestic alike, running the McGard SplineDrives who swear by them, and I more than likely will obtain them for my vehicle once the motorcycle is paid off and i get back around to working on my car. :wink:

Or you could just go to the junkyard and get the stock lugnuts off a 99-01 GSR. I don’t see why you should waste money and lugnuts, when stock ones work just fine.

right, but I want something with locks and chrome or stainless steel so they won’t rust ever…

I agree w/ u guys concerning aftermarket wheels and specific lug nuts…many wheels require a specific type of lug nut in order to fit in the hole of the wheel, etc etc…but in reference to my original post topic, I only want something that is an OEM replacement w/ locks that will not rust…thats all :smiley:

thanks guys… keep the replies comin if you got 'em, before posting this thread i searched and found nothing concerning lug nuts, aftermarket or OEM, so maybe someone will want to archivethis , think its worth it?

Go to Les Schwab, they carry Gorilla Locks, they look virtually the same as stock lugnuts, yet they require a different key other then a 19mm. You can get a set of 4 for $20. Or if you want to get a little JDM flare for your lugnuts, look for Kyokugen lugs online, I just got a set for $37 from a local shop, and they are nice as heck, and also half the weight of stock lugnuts :naughty:

Can you even use tuner locks for stock o.e.m wheels? Wouldnt they come lose? I know you not suppose to use stock lug nuts on aftermarket rims but how about the other way around, tuner lugs on stock wheels?

Gorilla locks suck. Aren’t the most secure & all theives have the lug key.
Corvette locking lugs fit, plus they’re more secure. not to mention that if a theif is eyein your Honda rims, he’s not goin’ to be ready for Corvette lugs.
:getsome: :manual:

First of all mike is spot on the money.
Factory lugs will not fit all rims just like all lugs will not fit factory wheels.
I pulled the set of TSW wheels my Da9 came with just the other day put mesh on. The TSW lugs have a steeper cone on the bevel end than OEM acura lugs. Steeper bevel means less contact surface which could lead to them vibrating loose.
do you want a side by side picture?

Furtheremore, just get acura locking nuts. Its as simple as going to the parts desk and asking for them.
Plus you get to hang out at acura. The leather couches, the free starbucks, the free manicures. Freshly baked cookies… Soda fountain…
Ima head out to acura right now and pretend to want an RDX, later.

I have never had an issue with my gorilla locking lugs and i have seen different styles of locking lugs that they use. Am i the only one that has not had a problem with them?

p.s. good job on the search.