blown exhaust manifold gasket?

my car was oddly loud last friday. like it had it’s usual “unusual tapping” noise when i accelerate from idle til 3k rpm but it was louder. i got to work and recorded a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqfJjXlXVnA

however, i got to my next stop and checked it one more time and it’s gone. very strange. do you guys know what it is? i’m guessing a blown gasket but i could be wrong since it disappeared?

is possible. why don’t u try torquing those bolts/nuts down? or u could just replace the gasket. also, make sure that ur heat shield is on tight, and do a valve adjustment too while u are at it.

also check the “middle” half of the stock exhaust manifold. torque those 3 bolts/nuts down to spec, i think u can get a gasket for it too.

put your hand around the gasket area and feel for a leak. be careful to not burn yourself. do it when its cold you’ll have at least a minute to move your hand around before it starts to get real hot.

thanks guys. i will check it tomorrow. how often does the valves get out of adjustment? i did it like last year and it still sound the same.

Im in the same boat right now, I have this irritating loud ticking coming from the engine bay. everyone that hears it swears up and down that its in need of a vavle adjustment, but Ive gone over twice and they are all in spec.

I even did as redtegra suggested and put my hand down there to see if I could fell the exaust leaking out and nothing.

So i orderd 2 new exaust crush gaskets anyways and am hoping that fixes the problem:cross:

the ticking is from the pcv valve. take it out of the loop and you’ll be ok!:rofl:

i’m kidding! don’t take it out!

The owner’s manual recommends a valve adjustment every 25,000km.

[QUOTE=gilcontr;2032057]the ticking is from the pcv valve. take it out of the loop and you’ll be ok!:rofl:

i’m kidding! don’t take it out![/QUOTE]

I took mine out along time ago:giggle:

The reason your motor sounds like it needs a valve adjustment. Is because you have the old style lma’s. You should do a search on lost motion assembly. There is a post on here that talk’s about using the 99 si lma’s. They are made different but u can swap them out they all fit the same. I have done it on 5 b16a’s

if you watch the video you’ll notice that its not the lma’s making that weird sound.

well, i decided to take off my heatshield and behold! one of the stud broke in half. easy fix or no? i hope the stud isn’t from inside the head like a wheel stud is behind the hub…

just remove ur exhaust manifold and use some vise grips or use the double nut technique. and no, the stud is only accessible thru the outside of the motor. its not like a wheel stud.

[QUOTE=BLKACK1;2032052]Im in the same boat right now, I have this irritating loud ticking coming from the engine bay. everyone that hears it swears up and down that its in need of a vavle adjustment, but Ive gone over twice and they are all in spec.

I even did as redtegra suggested and put my hand down there to see if I could fell the exaust leaking out and nothing.

So i orderd 2 new exaust crush gaskets anyways and am hoping that fixes the problem:cross:[/QUOTE]

try getting an automotive stethoscope. and just like the doctor does it, u place it where u think the sound is coming from, or on anything THAT DOES NOT MOVE. i suggest u check ur injectors.

thanks squeeze! gonna order one from the dealership

u can get a stethoscope for automotive at most local parts stores.

@squeezethis i meant i’ll get the stud for the exhaust manifold from the dealer

oh lol. no u don’t have to. if u remove the stud… u can replace it with the right bolt that has the same thread and pitch. just make sure its like an 8.8 or higher on the grade of the bolt.

u can technically do that to all the bolts. thats what i did to save myself headaches with them studs, and it helps with space whenever u gotta remove the headers n stuff.

thats exactly what I did, thanks for the suggestion thougth:up:

I cant agree with you last statement any more, sometimes its a real pain getting a manifold to slide off of those studs where there is a bunch of stuff in front of it. So bolts would maybe make it a little easier, personaly I like having the studs, make putting everything back together easier:)

[QUOTE=BLKACK1;2035301]thats exactly what I did, thanks for the suggestion thougth:up:

I cant agree with you last statement any more, sometimes its a real pain getting a manifold to slide off of those studs where there is a bunch of stuff in front of it. So bolts would maybe make it a little easier, personaly I like having the studs, make putting everything back together easier:)[/QUOTE]

that is true. but honestly once one of the bolts it thru, its all gravy. to be honest tho… i left just 2 studs, the outer ones on the bottom row for ease of installation. but i should replace them soon too tho. cuz since i have greddy headers now (4-2-1). the flange is so much bigger, that only so few threads actually caught on with the nut n stuff. so i’m thinking of getting some much nicer bolts that are also aesthetically appealing to the eye.