Body Work Basics (tutorial)

I feel I wrote too much for a G2IC member who mailed me to help him with body work. So here’s what I wrote just to help you bodywork-curious-freaks get started. It’s just the basics. I could tell my friend (shop owner) to write a more professionalized tutorial but I doubt anyone would actually take the time to body work with the technique quality shops do. If anyone wants to improve this tutorial with better grammar or better bodywork techniques, please do so. :stuck_out_tongue:

----Start of tutorial-----

Body work is where it counts - you can have the best paint job ever but without body work your car looks like as. I’ve seen many nice cars with sht bodywork with a paint job perfected.

Before you start anything, these are the materials you should have:
-Any bodyfiller that has a hardner better than the Bondo brand - do not use Bondo because it is a bitch to sand.
-body filler spreader
-Spreading pan (sheet metal is fine. I saw like a wax paper booklet that you can tear off each time you apply body filler)
-Cheesegrader to cut the body filler down when it is SEMI-DRY
-3M Sanding Block (or scrap FLAT pieces of wood)
-Wet/Dry sand paper with grits starting from 80 (Dry), 150(Dry), 220(Wet/Dry), 400(Wet/Dry), 600(Wet/Dry) You can start painting with 400 but some people like to go smoother with 600.
-Primer FILLER from Wal-Mart (it’s not regular surface primer, it should say filler because it shoots real thick to cover deep scratches)
-Putty (I always had a hard time working with this)

Everyone has their own technique of doing body work and experience is where you learn what to do and not. There are so many things that could go wrong but you should know atleast the basics to get you going. You should use the most least amount of body filler around the car.

On my car, my technique was to do each panel at a time no matter how much dents there were. Do not jump around as it is hard to keep track of what you did wrong on each panel.

Before you start anything, buy a grease pen or a sharpy. As a graffiti artist, I used something called a Mean Streak made by Sanford company. It dries hard and is permanent. Anyways, with the pen you have mark ALL dents around the car because once you start sanding, you will NOT see the dents.

*After you mark the dents, work on one panel at a time (it doesn’t matter where. Like I said, it’ll help you remember what imperfections you had). If you have any HUGE dents, atleast try to pop them out.
*Sand with 80-grit 3" or more around the dent until it is scuffed (atleast till all the clear is off)
*Mix body filler with the proper amount of harder until the color of it is consistent). Apply body filler THINLY for the first coat (It should be no more than a few millimeters thick). Scoop a little amount of body filler (Yes and I mean real little) and spread it evenly by wiping in ONE direction ONE to TWO times only. If you accidently made put too much, the cheesegrader is a handy tool to cut it down real fast - make sure you cut it down when the body filler is NOT fully dried - hard as foam as I would say. Sand with a block if you need too then if theres “low spots” add more body filler thinly.
*After you rid the low spots, shape it by dry-sanding with 80 grit. Then 150. Wet sand with 220 and finalize with 400 or 600. If there is pinholes use putty to fill it in. You apply it like body filler but you need to work with it really fast and apply it a lot more thinner.
*Spray filler primer to fill in any deep scratches you left and to check whether you did good job.

Okay that was the basics. You should work with the dents first then the emblems.

The emblems just takes another step. People like to weld shut the holes but its complicated because Honda material is like foil. My technique of sealing the holes is surfboard fiberglass (STRONG). I used it to fill in my antennae hole and two 1" holes on my fenders that the previous owner left for sidemarkers. The pic you gave me was low-quality so I could barely see anything. Don’t worry I have a cable connection if you need to send me huge pics. For a cleaner look, just shave off everything. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Heres what you need:
-Fiberglass kit. Wal-mart brand it fine but I would still recommend surfboard resin and fiberglass to make sure nothing cracks.
-Grinder
-Rubber mallet or hammer
-Punch or anything to make a “ding” onto the surface
-Same body work tools as above.

*Remove all emblems. Get rid of ALL adhesive because it ruins the finalizing process in the end.
*Grind off all the paint around it and the high spots (if you dinged it to deep)
*With the hammer or rubber mallet and the punch, make a small ding for every hole you see. The ding should be no more than 1" all around.
*Apply any sort of primer to prevent rust from forming.
*Lay maybe 1 or 2 small layers of fiberglass - try not to lay it thick because you don’t want it to extrude higher than the regular surface. The reason for using fiber glass on the emblem holes is because I’ve heard of rust forming when you weld. I don’t know if its true of rust forming in the inside of the hole where you cant reach but I like to play it safe.
*Work with the “dent” like the rest of the car.

Another challenge would be the antennae hole. It’s the same process as above but ANOTHER step. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Use all the tools as above but this time you need a welder and a piece of sheetmetal.
In a nutshell:
*Weld a small piece of sheetmetal on the inside of the car. Lay one sheet of fiber glass over the hole to make up for the thickness of the metal. Do body work as usual. Antennae is the hardest part of the car because of the body’s curves. Like I said, warping can occur when you can’t weld good - you can cheat it buy using surfboard resin really thick on the inside and outside of the car. It’ll hold just as good as metal. There is a slight chance it’ll crack if someone actually focuses on that once spot and hits it hard enough.

All I can recommend is PATIENCE when you body work. The process of bodyworking and painting your car should take you ATLEAST 2 months to do (of course off and on). If it doesnt’t take you atleast that long, your rushing. :stuck_out_tongue:

-----End of tutorial-----

good stuff thanks

archivethis

Damn you, i was gonna say archivethis first! Nice tutorial Gerok, I used surfboard resin to fill up the holes on my bumper a long time ago and its still holding strong!

if u guys need some body help

just ask me, seriously my brother is a bodyman at a body shop
and as a matter of fact he drives a g2 also
he is shaving things off of it and repainting it. and he is going 2 b come a memeber or jsut use my SN if wants 2 ask some questions

ahck i will add pics for this thread…im doing a s13 and my fender/bumper at the same time…

Nice tut Gerok =) I’m not doing bondo yet, but you inspired me to get after that big dent on my front right fender…

What I used was a few 1x2’s and 2x2’s, a curved shaping block wrapped in a towel, and a rubber mallet covered with leather. I used the 1x2 and 2x2 for prying the dents out, using the tire as the fulcrum.

I first removed the plastic splash guard from the inside of the wheel well - about 10 or so fasteners and screws (you have to remove the mudflap also - don’t miss the screw on the bottom of mudflap like I did). With that out of the way, I was able to easily access the inside of the fender and locate any bent brackets that would need straightening. I also removed the front turn signal on both sides so I could reference the changes against each other, using a measuring tape to see where the curve was at on both sides, and where it needed to get to.

I found a bent mounting bracket for my bumper when examing the internal damage. While working on pushing out the dent, I used the 1x2 to bend the bracket back into its original position, alternating between the 2 so they would come out together.

I had several very satisfying moments with this little project - it was lot like sculpting =) although the end result was a little rough due to some beginner’s mistakes I made, all in all it looks a thousand times better than it did, and is totally ready for a light bondo job ans some sanding. I’m going to go after the door dings this weekend… and then wax it and snap some pics to post up on the board here =)

I keep kicking myself for forgetting to take “before” pics…

Is body work really that hard?

I’ve never worked with bondo or done any body work. I was considering doing some on my teg myself such as a few door dings and a dent under the pass. side door, shaving my antenna and squirter. I’m confident I can do a good job…but need extra assurance. Thanks. Peace.

Somebody? Bump biggy bump da bump da bump bump ^^^^. Peace.

i’m going to be painting the moldings and mirrors sometime soon as well as repainting the whole front bumper. I figure this would be the perfect time to do some other work as well. I’d really like to shave the emblems, but if I do how much do I have to repaint (like for the back will I have to repaint the whole hatch?). How can I repaint the spots where the emblems were and make them blend into the original paint? Do I just mask the area I’m painting and then wetsand the ridges down? Also, I’ve heard people talk about cutting and polishing after you paint to prevent orange peel or something, could you explain this? There’s this big dent in front driver’s side fender, and I have the wheel off and that plastic lining out so I can get to it and push the dent out from behind. What should I use and how should I go about doing it so I don’t screw it up?

What kind of finishing experience do you have? Have you done a lot of sanding, polishing or finishing? It’s not necessarily rocket-science, but if you don’t do a good job, it shows. Mostly it takes patience and elbow grease… but if you’ve never worked with sanding blocks and different grades of sandpaper, you might find it a bit more daunting task than you’d expected.

There are all kinds of factors that can affect the process, such as heat and humidity, lighting, the ratio of hardner to bondo you mix… if you’re not sure about your abilities, you might want to let the pros handle it. If you’re confident you have the eye for detail it requires, and the patience to get it done right, then maybe start in an inconspicuous area and see how it goes…

i have a little experience, plus my dad can help and my uncle will be here as well and he has lots of experience. We had to repaint the trunk and roof of this rusted neon, so i learned a lot about prep work and painting, but I’ve never done anything with body filler and stuff (my uncle has though). I have lots of time to do it, since it’ll be another couple of weeks before we even get the engine ready to put back in the car. I’ll probably just leave the emblems if it’s really that hard, but i figured if you guys could steer me in the right direction I’d take a stab at it. My only concern is getting the new paint to blend in with the old paint. i definitely want to get that ugly dent out of the front fender as well (how do those paintless dent repair people do it?). So is there a way to shave the emblems without having to repaint the whole car to make it look right?

The flawless way of blening it would be to paint the hole panel. It’s complicated to blend in. Iv’e tried it but the colors don’t match. Just do the whole panel…

i hate painting, ive learned alot since i started though
i recently painted my new front bumper
the guy at the paint supply printed up step by step iinstructions for me
he also included mixing ratios, drying time, at what psi to shoot it, baking time and temp, etc.
one thing id recommend if your painting anything thats new would be to clean it with wax and grease remover and bake it for half an hour
then repeat the process again
do this before u do anything else
if u dont have access to a bake room then leave itout in the sun for about four hours
this will save u a headache later on
not to mention your pretty paint job wont blister up in about a month

Re: Body Work Basics (tutorial)

Originally posted by Gerok
[B]

On my car, my technique was to do each panel at a time no matter how much dents there were.
[/B]

Where you from again? :stuck_out_tongue: (seriously tho… Oahu?)

Really nice tutorial… very informative… thanks eh? :wink:

Polished my car this weekend - pics will be up in a few hours =)

bob i’m from waipahu…the modern side haha

Final polished pics:

Before:

After:

5 hours of compounding, swirl mark remover, and hand glaze finish - all 3M products. I havn’t seen it in daylight yet, it’s been raining every day since I worked on it =p but I can tell the finish is a lot darker and deeper now =) I’m very satisfied…

Zray, your car looks like its in very nice condition, that polish looks like it helped a lot. Is that original paint?

Yep - factory - what the pictures don’t show is the flaking clearcoat on the roof and the cracking clearcoat on the hood… and although the polish job I did on the finish didn’t restore the bad stuff, it definitely made the car look better overall, so now the bad areas are sorta lighter patches under a dark glassy finish =) I also used some turtlewax color restorer in some spots, with some success - seems to work decent on stains and oxidized cracking on black paint.

I probably coulda cut the work time down by almost 2 hours if I had a professional electric buffer… just couldn’t find one in my area the day I needed it, so I wound up using a 2400rpm orbital buffer from Pepboys - what makes me smile is the paint-shop snob who told me I would “burn out that cheap piece of sh*t” before finishing the car, and that it would burn through the paint. I had no such problems at all =)