"Bouncing" spark plug - please help

Hey guys and gals,

I have what seems to be a serious problem. I have a spark plug that ‘bounces’ … I don’t know how else to describe it, but I can get a video if needed. Anyway, has anyone heard of this?

PS - I did a search, looking for the word spark plugs in the title under all forums and I couldn’t find anything. I did find about 15 threads about oil in the spark plugs (which I have as well, lol).

Thanks for any advice.

Blake

Bounces? The spark plug is actually bouncing up and down? Did you try tightening it? 156 inch Lbs.

maybe you stripped the threads on the head? time to get a tap and helicoil set!

Unfortunetely its not that. I loosened it and re-tightened it to make sure. The thread is still good. One thing I can guess is that I need new spark plug wires. The ones I have on their are from autozone. I’m going to pick some up from honda this week. But could bad/cheap plug wires really cause this? I’m going to take a video of it tomorrow and post it up. I really would like to get this figured out. Thanks for the ideas so far. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Blake

Yeah, do post a video cause I still can’t figure out how a spark plug would bounce around in the hole.

I am at work right now, I’ll have the video up around 5 PST. Thanks.

Blake

Please explain your problem instead of bouncing spark. Like what is happening when it does jump and all that. Also have u check the spark plug gap, because if its too far apart then yea i can see why it can be jump/bounce to reach its end though this doesnt tell the problem it is causing so help us help u.

Just grab ngk plugs v-power should be like $8-10 bucks total.

I’ve tried to explain what it does, but I think its just one of those things better seen in person or on video. I’ll explain in some more detail though.

First of all, the spark plug wire is not down all the way into the valve. I tried pushing it in, but it still sticks up a little bit. The spark plug is tightened, so thats not the problem. So perhaps my diagnosis is wrong and its not really the plug, but the wire that is bouncing. I don’t know enough about cars to know if a spark plug even moves in the shaft? lol. Its the 1st plug/wire (passenger side) that I have the issue with. Like I said, the wires are old (and garbage) so that is my first guess. I just cant imagine how that could be the problem, but I don’t know enough about cars to think of anything else.

Forewarning - my video won’t have sound, but I’ll be sure to get it at a good angle so you can see what I am talking about.

Thanks everyone,

Blake

if its sticking out and not tight snug of the wire boot then something is wrong. Wrong plug for ur car on that one or the wire is wrong.

Since u dont know much about cars did u buy this car just new or has this problem been awhile? Wires bouncing no such thing hehe… I suppose well wait on the video then go from there blake thanks.

haha the wire is loose in the boot itself it happens just get brand new wires or pull on the wire while holding the boot in place and make sure it clicks on the spark plug. (not the valve) haha:rockon:

lol, I told you I’m not car savvy. Thanks though sir. I will buy some new wires and will come back to this if the problem persists! Again, Thank you!

Blake

Get ngk wires if u can they are probably like $53-60 bucks.

[QUOTE=RiccyLSR;1983627]if its sticking out and not tight snug of the wire boot then something is wrong. Wrong plug for ur car on that one or the wire is wrong.

Since u dont know much about cars did u buy this car just new or has this problem been awhile? Wires bouncing no such thing hehe… I suppose well wait on the video then go from there blake thanks.[/QUOTE]

Lol, the problem is fairly new. I didn’t have this problem upon buying the car. I’ve run into my share of problems since I’ve bought it though. I was young and wanted a GSR like the Octuplet woman wants babies. I had my fun in her though. :slight_smile: Looking to fix some quarks before I put her up for sale.

I will still put a video up to clarify things even though I think you guys found my problem.

Thanks,

Blake

10-4. NGK is usually what I buy for my Hondas. For some reason I didn’t the last time – look where it got me.

Thanks,

Blake