Break issue

I find that I’m replacing brake pads every 3-4 months - is this common? I drive 60 highway miles round trip to/from work each day in traffic, kinda hard.

I had OEM pads installed by the dealer and the first day I rolled on them I had smoke venting from the pads. 3 months later, I’m hearing that grinding sound when I roll to a stop. If the pads need replacing, I’m thinking about going with something non-OEM that will last longer - it’s too much of a pain in the ass to keep replacing those suckers.

Also, I started hearing a clicking/tapping sound from the driver side wheel area. Could this also be related to brake failure? I had the outer tie rods replaced 4 months ago, but don’t think this is related.

Any thoughts?

you’re using the wrong part(s).

go to the store and buy BRAKE pads, i’m sure they’ll work much better than break pads.

are you warping rotors as well? and are the pads wearing evenly or unevenly?

sounds like you may have a caliper freezing up on you, unless you are warring out the brake pads evenly. might have water in your brake fluid which is causing rust which could potentially cause premature brake pad weir? flush the shit out of your fluid and see what that does for you.

Breaker Breaker - come in Breaker. Smoky’s camping on I5 North at exit 234.

Oh, Give me a Brake!

A raven tried to break a nut with his beak but a driver failed to brake in time.

Well that just Broke the camels back… and a raven with a broken Beak, cannot take a break until the nut breaks open

Okay, I’m putting on my Mr. Obvious hat:

I bet the clicking / tapping is your CV joint. As for the pads, try doing it yourself so you can actually see the wear characteristics of the pads. If it’s just one side, that narrows your problem a bit.

• Jim

thanks Jim

I’m checking that today

Originally posted by Schu
Well that just Broke the camels back… and a raven with a broken Beak, cannot take a break until the nut breaks open

Duy ----->

tapping sound: broken shroud making contact when car is moving
brakes: both calipers freezing up, pads worn, rotors fuct

solution: replace rotors, calipers, pads & flush the system

good as new