Build ideas...

I’ve done some research, but I’m looking for build ideas that pertain to my specific situation, i.e. what would work well with the mods my car already has, what makes sense with the work that it already needs, and what I need to achieve my specific goal.

GOAL:
I would be happy if my DA felt at least as quick as my bone-stock 2000 Prelude. The acceleration is the only thing I miss about that car. It had 200 HP and about 155 torque at the crank but weighed about 500 pounds more than my DA. My guess is that 150 wheel HP in the DA would suffice? Not sure how much torque to look for or expect, since that number isn’t as talked about in regard to gains. I also want to retain the A/C, power steering, and the highest level of reliability possible (simple is best). Budget is not a major concern, but less expensive is always better.

CURRENT SITUATION:
The DA has 160k miles, stock B18A1, shortened CAI (filter is now by the battery), DC header, Tanabe Medallion Touring cat-back (2.25 inch), and a GS-R tranny from a DB2. I’m not looking to change any of this. The compression is currently 155-145-140-145 and it’s burning a little more oil than I’d like, so a rebuild is in order. That’s actually what sparked this question. If I’m rebuilding, I may as well make it faster. But I first need to decide whether to do stock compression or high compression. I also just did a full timing belt job if that makes any difference.

I’m absolutely not doing LS-VTEC so please no suggestions about that. I think these are my options:

1 – All-motor
This idea came after reading this: http://hondaswap.com/threads/building-an-ls-all-motor-monster.31401/
Does that info seem legit? Comments?
Highest on my list because of mechanical simplicity and maybe a “low” price?

2 – Turbo
Lower on my list because of complexity and potential price.

3 – Nitrous
Lowest on my list because of the fact that I’d be refilling the bottle every day.

As I’m not much of a mod person and also don’t claim to know a hell of a lot about this stuff, I’m not really sure how much any of this will cost. I don’t do this kind of advanced work on my car, I just research, buy, and take it to my guy.
Comments/drawbacks/ideas are welcome.
Thanks guys.

Not on your list, motor swaps. Any reasons why? Time vs. Money?
H22 swap… then you can feel what your prelude motor would feel like in the integra :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=billabongrob;2335289]Not on your list, motor swaps. Any reasons why? Time vs. Money?
H22 swap… then you can feel what your prelude motor would feel like in the integra :)[/QUOTE]

Wouldn’t that be sweet?
I’ve had dreams about an H22 in the DA…but I think it’s probably overkill. Not to mention the complete lack of simplicity, extra weight, DA handling destroyed, etc.

I’d go B20 for the extra torque. Go with a bit higher compression piston like a USDM type R and some decent cams and retain your current bolt ons. Why no vtec?

H series isn’t THAT much heavier…
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/1306-honda-engine-drivetrain-weights/

My buddy’s running h22 Vtec in his da after a tune he made 214hp (just texted and asked him)at the wheels and 147 tq. no mods just stock h2b swap his Lsd y1 Trans helped I’m sure but not even a aftermarket thing done except ram air intake

Also a strait rebuild on your Ls with stage 2 cams and head built springs retainers block honed or bored I mean you would make good power also like what he said up there b16 pistons or type r same out come pretty much a little bump on compression to help, shit save ya more money if cost your worry I’m currently helping a buddy build a Na Ls in his ek sedan lol

IMO it’s a waste to build the B18a1 for all motor anything. There are so many great options with vtec. If you’re against ls-vtec you should consider a cheap b or h series swap. Simple and effective, you can’t beat an oem swap.

I think that the B18 non vtec motor is a fantastic candidate for boost (and that’s about all it’s good for). However, by the time you build the motor, source your turbo parts, hondata and get a tune you will have spent alot more than you wanted to.

Unless you find a P8r the non-vtec heads don’t flow nearly as well and they like to spit rockers out at a high rpm.

#1 all motor was first on his list, and also mentioned he wanted it simple… my buddy built one with me used the p73 pistons I sold him got a head with dual springs and crower stage 2 cams the motor is nicer now and is very peppy compared to a stock Ls he also odb1 converted and has a basemap tune so nothing really special, cheap and easy he gets to use the stuff he was already wanting to use freshen it up nothing wrong with that

[QUOTE=jdecks23;2335300]IMO it’s a waste to build the B18a1 for all motor anything. There are so many great options with vtec. If you’re against ls-vtec you should consider a cheap b or h series swap. Simple and effective, you can’t beat an oem swap.

I think that the B18 non vtec motor is a fantastic candidate for boost (and that’s about all it’s good for). However, by the time you build the motor, source your turbo parts, hondata and get a tune you will have spent alot more than you wanted to.[/QUOTE]

I’m definitely not opposed to VTEC, I’m just not going to do LS-VTEC (and I don’t want to turn this into an argument as to why not, haha).

It never occurred to me that a motor swap would cost about the same as a rebuild. Colin also pointed out to me that since I don’t do this stuff myself, labor is going to be a huge factor with a rebuild (if done correctly).

So I think the B20 idea is going to be the winner. That way I can keep my DB2 transmission and my exhaust, and just swap in a lower-mile, higher-compression, better condition motor, and have a car that’s quicker than a stock DA (even if only marginally so). Plus the OEM reliability!

The winning idea wasn’t even on my list. The input here is why I posted. Thanks everyone!